Hello from Peoria, AZ!

MattH

What a great site, lots of cool info. I hunt elk and deer here in AZ (not much experience yet. Very interested in this site and can see myself getting addicted to shooting long range. Just got a 270 WSM, is that a good caliber to get started with? Now I just need to find a place out in the desert to put a target 700-100 yards :)
Thanks!
Matt

Welcome to Long Range Hunting Matt.

The 270 WSM will get you started. Get out in the desert and work in increments from whatever range you're now comfortable with and go on out from there. Keep track of all data, drops, conditions etc. and just have fun.

Keep on reading and you'll pick up on a lot of things that will help you out. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks man! There is lots to read that's for sure. Can't wait to learn more. What is the ultimate long range caliber 7mm ultra mag?
Matt

That's one of those questions that if you asked a dozen guys you'd probably get a dozen different answers.

But one thing in common with all good long range setups is a heavy for caliber, high BC bullet pushed to the highest velocity that will give you the best accuracy.

Then just go out and shoot stuff.:)

Hello Matt

I live in Surprise and there are many places close by to shoot at distance in the desert and up north. This is a great site full of info. I am heading to Ben Avery tomorrow 6/25 to start break-in of my new SSG custom if you are interested.

Terry

Can't make it Thursday becasue they close at 1PM, but was planning on going Friday morning. Drop me a PM with your email, maybe we can meet up over there sometime. Thanks!!
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.