Hello from Oregon

shoots_5

Hello all. My name is Tim and I've become addicted to shooting things at long range.....gun)

Been lurking and reading for awhile and thought I'd finally join the group. I'm originally from Eastern Oregon but currently live on the west side of the state (unfortunately). Grew up hunting and shooting all the time as I lived on a very large ranch and had lots of friends with lots of property. Just now started getting into shooting long range (accurately anyway...). I'm just finishing up turning my favorite elk rifle into a long range hunter. It's a Remington 721 chambered in 300 H&H Mag. Topped it with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 and added M1 turrets and the TMR reticle. So far I've stretched it out to 800 yards where I can keep it on a 12" steel plate pretty well. I've already got plans rolling around to build a custom rifle in 6.5x47L so I guess I've been bitten by the bug! I need a LR rig that's a little more economical to shoot than the 300.....

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I get more into it. Seems like a great site with lots of info from people who have been there done that.

Regards,

Tim

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Well Howdy!

Bitten by the bug, eh? Sorry, it causes an infection that only gets worse.

300 H&H......Interesting. My neighbor got the bug to do some 1k yd shooting and is setting up his Win Mod 70 in 300 H&H. We'll be having some fun!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm headed out today to do some shooting and to play with my new HD video camera so hopefully I'll have some interesting video to share with you all this evening! Should be a fun time if nothing else, although it's rather windy this morning so far. Oh well, I guess you need to learn to shoot in the wind at some point!

I look forward to your video...gun, bullets, targets, shooting, reloading equipment...any one of them will do, I need a fix.:)

Well, here's a couple of video's from the weekend. I was working up a new load with 168gr Berger VLD's and found a decent one using IMR 4350 that gave me a surprising velocity of 3255 with a SD of 16. That was about a 100 fps faster than I was hoping for so I was a happy camper. Had a few loaded up that I decided to shoot at longer range although I didn't have a data card on them so I was guesstimating. Never did hit the target at 756 with them....the wind was really screwing with me. Kept changing direction slightly and velocity from shot to shot. I'd hit right add windage and the wind would shift to full value and I'd hit in the same **** spot.....add windage and the wind would change and I'd hit left....minus windage, wind change hit right. Frustrating but good knowledge and good to know my current limits. Ended up switching to a known load using 185 grain Berger's and shot at the 12" target at 804 and got some hits. Just beginning with longer range shooting but having a hell of a good time with it! Oh, and I went out and bought a Kestral the next day....hopefully that will help me learn to judge the wind a bit better...along with providing more accurate atmospheric conditions.

couple of shots at 804 yards
YouTube - Title(1/2)

again at 804
YouTube - Title(2/2)

longer video showing me struggling at 756 and then shooting at 804
YouTube - long range shooting.wmv

Great to see another Oregon guy! Youve found a new Home here at L/R/H. gREAT videos. Dont feel bad, I shot 500 in the wind this weekend and my BEST group was 1'' tall,.......... but 9inches WIDE! I was having one heck of a time as well! 15-20 mph constant blowing grass, and wiggeling sagebrush plus with gusts and flurries rocking me on the ground, it was kickin my butt HARD!!!!! Id try shooting only when the 500yd flags died down, but to no avail. I need to shoot alot more in the wind.
p.s. were you on green mountain? looked like a place or two down 6 or 26, past Banks or Gales creek.
Wheres home for you? (then/now) Im origionaly from Baker Co. and now live in Central Or. But Ive got relitaves on the (ssshhhhhh) west side. poor souls!

Hey Winmag....well I'm originally from Grant Co. so near you, but I currently live in Beaverton.....and yes, I hate it, but it's where the job is.

I was actually down near Silverton on my in-laws farm. Pretty good place to shoot....nobody around to bother me and lots of space. I've got a set of steel targets made up, one 12", 10" and 8" that I can move around as I wish so it works out pretty good. Even a few coyotes running around for a little excitement now and then! Let me know if you're headed over this area sometime and want to get out and shoot. I always like shooting with and learning from others.

Nice videos...ahhh I needed that fix. Good shooting. Shooting with the wind has it's challenges. Stick with it and thanks for sharing the vids. Keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.