Hello from North Dakota

omc.cobra

Enjoy this website! Just a quick comment - among other bolt action and AR rifles, I have a Remington 700 Sendero in .300 WM with Leupold 4.5 by 14 by 56 mm scope. Standard trigger of 6.5 lbs. Using Federal Gold Match ammunition with 190 gr Sierra HPBT bullets I adjusted the scope for 1,000 yards and took a few shots. 10 ring and also in the X ring. A sweet rifle. So certainly a great hunting rifle for deer and elk, but also shoots lights out. Will begin reloading with that bullet soon.

The next weekend that .300 took out a coyote at 107 yards, same bullet (that is what I had with me) Needless to say - tiny entrance wound, but canteloupe size exit or larger. She was dead before her feet came back to earth - a bit overkill as I normally use a DPMS in .308 or .223 for coyotes.

If I ever get into F class competitions, I will step down to a .308, probably Remington Police - also 26 inch barrel and of course that rifle will double as a hunting rifle. Although the scope might have a little more power than 14 - say 20 or 25 at the top end.

Appreciate the good work you do on this website - very informative and entertaining!!

Welcome from the neighboring state of Minnesota. I live less than an hour from Grand forks, ND.

Welcome from a fellow ND. If you do start F-class you will see some of our local gunsmiths(308nate) handy work. You might just change your mind on your f-class rifle.

Bismarck

Thanks for the welcome!
Goose - I actually shoot both handgun and rifle about 70 miles NE of Grand Forks on my father in law's farm.

Blipelt - I know there are some very nice rifles made for F Class shooting - I will check into it. The Police model of course is not really designed for that, but it is amazing to me how well the stock rifles - in my case Remington 700s - can shoot. The Police would be a dual purpose gun - for a true F Class competition rifle I may look elsewhere as you mention.

I was planning on heading up north this weekend, but not that much fun to shoot in the rain if you don't have to!

I have to agree with you in dual purpose. I had two 6X47lapuas one single shot built to compete with and one repeater I hunt with. I have since sold the single shot and kept the repeater. 308nate's rifles are hunting rifles(repeaters) and he was the 2008 F-class state champ and his wife is the 2009 resident F-class state champ.

I have a 7wsm 200freebore Nate built for hunting it is in the 12-13lbs. range for weight with a NF scope and bipod. It is still light enough to hunt with and I can take the muzzle break off and compete with it. I am having a 284 Jazz(7-338norma mag improved) built in this configuration currently. My 6X47lapua weighs in at 16lbs. I carried this last season for deer. It was a little heavy in all the snow. I will replace the barrel with a sendero contour next time and get a Mcmillan A5 stock to make them all the same. I was a little skeptical to use my 6X47lapua last year until a friend of mine went out shooting with me. I have a steel target made of mild steel(frame) and AR400. My friend hit the mild steel. A 115Dtac passed through 1/4" of mild steel at 950yds.

Brent

Brent

Congrats to Nate and his wife!

It is amazing how much energy rifle rounds carry. That 190 grain bullet with the 300 carries twice as much energy at 1,000 yards as a 230 gr .45 ACP does at the muzzle.
Well, it quit raining and I might head north for the evening and check for coyotes!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.