Hello from new member...

Troutslayer

Howdy folks, I've been looking for a place like this for a while. While I have primarily been interested in hunting I'm trying to up my game and learning to shoot longer distances. I would like to competently shoot my .300 win mag. 600 yards by the end of the summer. I feel that's a reasonable goal for myself. I hunt elk and deer and a lot of birds, both upland and waterfowl. Look forward to having discussions with all of you.

Troutslayer

Welcome aboard. There is definitely a ton of good info to be had here. With some practice 600 yrds is easily doable with 300 WM. What rifle you shooting, what scope?

Chris

I shoot a Winchester model 70 sporter with a synthetic stock. I just had my smith put on a Leupold 4.5-14 by 40mm scope on it. I got to the range today to dial it in with the new scope. I was shooting Remington corelokt today, but I have much greater accuracy with Winchester. I had poor bullet performance with Winchester Xs (the cheap ones) last year so I'm trying to find a bullet that is accurate and will not blow right through a deer. I got some Accubond CTs today and I'm excited to see if they are as accurate as other Win. ammo through this gun because I hear that they perform well on big game including deer. I realize that my gun is not the best for long distance application, but for me it's light and reliable. I can't justify a long range tackdriver right now, worse, I don't have the experience to use it correctly.

Troutslayer

Sounds like a good start to me. My 300 is a Savage 112 pretty much stock except for the trigger. It loves the Accubonds and they do one heck of a job on whitetails. Your gun will do just fine for long range it just takes lots of trigger time.

Chris

Now all you have to do is get into reloading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. You'll probably be surprised just how accurate you can get that 300 just by rolling your own.

Welcome to the forum troutslayer! Sit back do some reading and ask a few questions because the folks here love to talk about long range shooting and hunting and are more than happy to help when you need it!

Troutslayer,

Welcome to LRH. You have a good set up to start long range shooting. I would agree that your long range performance will greatly improve if you learn how to load your own quality ammo.

There is the initial set up cost but once you have the equipment you will be able to load higher quality ammo for much less money. They are pretty proud of that factory ammo these days.

IF you put the time into range practice and learn the basics of ballistics and long range shooting, it will suprise you what can be accomplished at long range.

One bit of advice I would offer, always be honest with yourself concerning your capabilities and also be realistic about your goals.

Realize that every 100 yards you tack on to your shooting distance past 300 yards increases the difficulty of the shot 5x and past 800 yards I would say 10x.

Be patient, practice alot but practice with a purpose. Take shooting notes at the range so you can review them later.

Long range shooting can be as rewarding as anything out there so have fun and do alot of reading on this site. There is much to learn and I have yet to find anyone not willing to offer any experience they have to offer.

Again, welcome.

Where do you call home?

Kirby Allen(50)

Welcome , you could also give some Black Hills ammo a try , they make a 190gr Sierra Match King load for the 300Win mag that shoots well in all the 300 Wins I have had or worked with. And the 190SMK isin't a bad deer bullet either.
You could do some syple tricks to your gun that'll probably help out with the accuracy , things like bedding the action , floating the barrel , working the trigger and adjusting the stockto fit you correctly , the last one being a big help in shooting long range , alot of folks don't apperciate how much a good fitting gun will help their accuracy , especialy in field shooting

Home is Missoula, Montana. There are lots of things to shoot at in these parts.

I like my trigger where it is set. I've thought about some customization but money is an issue and being the Troutslayer that I am, most of my disposable income is spent on pretty new fly rods.

I have to say that people around here are friendly and great with the information. I could tell you about other forums I tried where topics were pretty much limited to the second ammendment and what kind of high capacity home defense firearms are best, which is not my style at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.