Hello from Idaho

BoiseBrett

Greetings and salutations!
I found this site in a search for knowledge. I am originally a flatlander from the midwest. I grew up hunting whitetail in thick forest and swamps in Michigan. Where 100 yard shots were long shots.

Now I live in Idaho and hunt elk where 300 yard+ shots are the norm. I've tagged a few bulls with a couple being long range shots. One bull(2011) in particular was 425 yards. It turned out ok but I ended my season disgusted with my lack of shooting ability.

I signed up for a class this summer to "learn" how to shoot long distances. It is a 3 day class taught by a very experienced shooter(retired police sniper and current competitor). The equipment list for the class includes 150 rounds of ammunition. Needless to say I won't be shooting my 300 win. mag 150 times in 3 days. I've discussed the caliber with the instructor and have chosen my 30-06 for the class. His teaching method will be able to be used with my elk rifle after I "learn".

Both my 300 win.mag. and my 30-06 are equipped with a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 with standard bases. The scopes have a total vertical MOA of 52. The instructor said the scope will work in his class environment.

Currently I am doubting my ability to shoot a 1000 yard target and am concerned the equipment I have is not capable.

I'm hoping to learn a lot this summer. If I develop the skill to shoot a target at long range I hope it will translate to a better shooting confidence/experience this October.

The class will have me shooting out to 1000 yards, I won't hunt out to that distance. In my opinion there is only enough bullet energy in my 300 win. mag. to effectively kill an elk at 600 yards maximum.

BoiseBrett

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts