Hello from Afghanistan

recon101

Hello, although I registered my account several months back while still in Colorado, this is my first time really doing anything besides reading some of the articles. I love the site and sure wish that I had some of the fine rifles and scopes over here that I read about on the site. My Designated Marksman always gets made at me because I sometimes I pull rank on him and take his M-14 with Leoupold MK4 scope and go scanning for targets when we have drama. He jokes that he's going to find me somekind of replacement for my M4 so that I'll stop taking his rifle. In case you're wondering, this place has some extremely tall mountains which are very steep with very deep valleys in between. Nothing says Long Range Hunting like hunting the taliban in this place. Keep up all the great work guys.gun)

Welcome to the site. And thank you thank you thank you for everything you do for us!!!

Make sure to sign up for the free Nightforce scope drawing.

Stay safe and thanks again.

AJ

Welcome. Glad to have you brave soliders doing what you do. Thank you. I'm pretty much a reader here since I have only "stock" rifles, but have gotten some good advice and enjoy reading when I come in here.

Nate

Welcome I spent a year there in 04 down in a city called Qalat in Zabol province. Be safe bro! The only thing that M14 has over your M4 is stoping power. What kind of optic are you running?

Ran an TAO1NSN on that tour and anything inside 600yds was hurting if you know what I mean.

Hey everybody, thanks for the support. As for the question about the optics on my M4, I do have an ACOG. Its a good sight, except for its low power. But thats just my opionion. I really wish I had one of my scopes off of one of my varmit rifles from back home. Had I really know what it was going to be like here, in the Northern Nuristan region I would put my ACOG in the arms room and brought my own scope. Oh well I guess I have to make due with what I have.

Does anybody have any good advise on a decent range finder? I'm ok at estimating my ranges, but with the terrain here being so steep and whatnot, its hard to accurately get the range. When the bullets fly I don't have time to walk rounds onto target if you know what I mean??!! Plus I need to get one to help out my Designated Marksman. His Mark 4 is only so good without knowing the exact ranges.

Thanks guys from a humble Scout who love to take his passions and apply them to work.

gun)

Welcome to the site. Thanks for taking the time to say hello !

I'm in Australia and we have SF guys over there serving currently too.

You cant go wrong with the Leica or Swaro although somebody you know will have a Leica Vector laying around somewhere hey ?

From the pics I have seen of your current home it's a long rangers dream !! Long shots from a big gun in that high altitude mountain air sound awsome so long as they are not inbound on your possie !

Keep in touch mate

DUH

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service. I was a sniper in Vietnam so I can relate to your fondness for the M14.

First gun I got when I got home from Afghanistan. I have a Leica 1200 scan thats what I use for rangeing but you have to keep fresh batterys in it at all times.

P1000898.jpg

P1000899.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.