HeavyWeight 3.5-Inch 7’s in Rem Super Mag

Broken Brow

I did some testing this weekend with the HeavyWeight 3.5 7's to see if there were any easy options for a good pattern. I just started with a Remington factory modified choke (.709). I got 66 in the 10 at 40. I was not expecting much, but I wanted to see what would happen.

I tightened up to the factory full choke (.691). I got 112 in the 10 at 40. That was at 84 degrees, but it you want a 40-yard gun, it appears a factory full will get you close with HW 7's.

I know Federal Flightcontrol wad is not made to perform in ported chokes or in tight chokes, but I had my Jelly Head (.660) sitting there, so I gave it a try. There was a modest increase to 118 in the 10 at 40. I moved back to 60 yards just to see how fast the pattern density drops, and it dropped to 42 in the 10.

So it does not appear that the HW 7's are going to blow your socks off with just any choke. The Pure Gold Tempest (.670) was designed to work with this load, but the Wingmaster HD Super Full (.675), Undertaker (Hevi-Shot .675), or a Carlson's 12 GA Extended Turkey (non-ported .670) might all be good alternatives to try in a Remington. If I continue to work with this load, I will post the results.

I did get a chance to try the non-ported Undertaker High Density Rem Choke. At 73 degrees it was putting 109 hits in the 10 at 40 yards.

I have seen some pretty high numbers posted with the HW 7's, but it does not appear my gun is going to get there.

Last edited:
Good info. I tried a bunch of loads last turkey season with my 11/87 sps. Jelly head choke tube with Nitros 3.5 #5,6,7 was my best group at 35 yds. I put 367 pellets in a 12" circle. My heavy shot loads didnt come close with 200 + pellets through my jelly head and rhino choke tubes.

I did some testing this weekend with the HeavyWeight 3.5 7's to see if there were any easy options for a good pattern. I just started with a Remington factory modified choke (.709). I got 66 in the 10 at 40. I was not expecting much, but I wanted to see what would happen.

I tightened up to the factory full choke (.691). I got 112 in the 10 at 40. That was at 84 degrees, but it you want a 40-yard gun, it appears a factory full will get you close with HW 7's.

I know Federal Flightcontrol wad is not made to perform in ported chokes or in tight chokes, but I had my Jelly Head (.660) sitting there, so I gave it a try. There was a modest increase to 118 in the 10 at 40. I moved back to 60 yards just to see how fast the pattern density drops, and it dropped to 42 in the 10.

So it does not appear that the HW 7's are going to blow your socks off with just any choke. The Pure Gold Tempest (.670) was designed to work with this load, but the Wingmaster HD Super Full (.675), Undertaker (Hevi-Shot .675), or a Carlson's 12 GA Extended Turkey (non-ported .670) might all be good alternatives to try in a Remington. If I continue to work with this load, I will post the results.

I will guess that you have tried this, but I have seen groups improve by going from 3.5" to a 3" load. Why it works, I dont know, but it does when someone is having trouble getting a 3.5" load to work in their shotgun.

My boss shoots Heavyweight 3.5" 6's with a Mod. choke. I dont think he patterned it, but has killed turkeys at 65yds.

I shoot Remington Hevi-shot 3" 5's in a Win. 1300 with a .665 Undertaker and get 133 pellets in a 10" circle. I get 95 pellets in the 10 with a factory full(.690) and the same shell. I have thought about trying a .660 choke, but dont want to spend the $ for a pattern that either wont change much or get worse. I have always tried loads until my choked liked it instead of buying a choke for the load. I have wanted to try a Indian Creek or PatternMaster, but its hard to swallow the $90 price tag.

Did you try the .670 with it yet? How did it do if you did?

I gave it up. The Undertaker choke was .675. I was expecting to get closer to 200 with that. As much as I would like to try the Tempest .670, I don't think that choke is going to get me where I was hoping, but I guess you never know.

133 is good for 5's. I don't know that a tighter choke is going to help, unless you were going to try smaller shot also.

I am happy with that set-up. It works and it has been bang flop since I put a red dot on the shotgun.

50606e70.jpg

I run the Indian Creek on Beretta Xtrema. Its been a long time since I tested the patterns. But what I can tell you is that the IC tube, 3.5 Win Xtended Range #5 was the best for this gun. I have taken birds out to 70 yards. I tried several chokes and several diff loads and this worked best for my gun. I did try pattern master as well, my gun did not like it. For the money the Primos JH out performed the PMaster. The PM is a great choke but I found it was better suited for waterfowl. In my tests, the best I can remember, the Indian Creek did not like the Hevi-Shot.

The best two chokes I founds were the Jelly Head and the Indian creek for the Win Hi density Xtended Range. Problem with the Winchesters is that they are expensive.

Last edited:
Yeah that not good for that type if shell from what I seen h13 7s will do like 200-250 in a 10". Might as well stick with leads 4s or go to hevishot

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.