Headspacing for 7mm stw?

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to set the barrel back a 1/4 of a turn so that the factory markings are under the stock. I don't have a way to stamp the barrel yet but I will get a way or I will talk my friend into letting me use the cnc to engrave it. I will be doing the work myself and just built a 308 on a Remington 700 and do know how to use a headspace gauge. Midway had a go-gauge for the 6.5 STW on sale for $20 so it is on its way, I use the tape method for the no-go gauge (I know this might not be the best way but it worked very well). I needed a gauge anyways because as soon as this one is done I have a 300 win I need to finish also. I will check on the barrel length when I get home, I have a Remington 700 and the Vanguard in the 7mm rem mag so maybe one has a 26" barrel. I plan on using the other one to build the 300 win mag on and I think the Vanguard has a longer mag which makes me want to put the STW in it. I also have a HS stock for the Rem 700 which I would like on the 300.
Thanks again

I just pulled out my stw cases. I have a rem custom shop gun built in the mid 90's.
The fired cases measure .5145 to .5150. I have some unfired rem cases bought in
2001 that measure .5050. So I would say some one, most likely the brass manufacturers cheated much like they did on the 6.5x55 rim and started making the
brass smaller on the 300 H&H measurements and the reamer makers followed suit.
I am sure my original win cases were not .5050 like the rem. The other thread about
2 different reamers for the stw peeked my curiosity. The ptg mentioned obviously is not
what Remington used on my gun as the cases would never fit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.