Headspacing a Savage question

winmagman

Sometime in the next 7-10 days UPS should be bringing me a new barrel for a Savage project.

I've been reading up on headspacing the barrel and the easiest way seems to be using a sized case as a guage and headspacing to the size of the case the die produces.

However, this will be a new cart. for me and all I have is new brass, so what I'm wondering is if I headspace off of new brass then set up my dies to just bump the shoulder after I have some once fired brass will it make a difference?

My other option is to try and buy some once fired brass, size it, and headspace from that.

Any input appreciated.
Chris

I'm sure that if youasked , somebody here could send you a fired case and you could size it.
But as for setting the barrel on new brass , that can be done also just set it up like the company says then fire your loads when you reload just neck size only or readjust your barrel after your brass is fired.

Do it right, use a headspace gage. they are cheap from Brownell's and you will get the right headspace from the start. proper headspace is important not just for safety but for recoil and above all accuracy. I'm sure the barrel wasn't cheap so don't scrimp on something as vital as proper headspace.

Winmagman,

I would personally recommend using your virgin brass to set the headspace. This will reduce the chamber to min spec and will limit as much case stretching as possible. One thing to remember is that virgin brass can vary in length so if your using a belted magnum case this can cause problems as if you use a case that is short in headspace, if you will, the longer cases will be a very tight fit in the chamber.

If your using a rimless case this is not really an issue as even if the cases are a bit long they will compress upon chambering and once fired they will all be dimensionally the same and will chamber perfect.

WHat round are you setting up for?

FOr a belted magnum a headspace guage is probably the best option unless you are using very high quality brass such as Lapua or Norma hulls.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

winmagman,

I have three savages and have 2 barrels each. In my very limited experience, if it is a standard case(no Imp) a full legnth sized case on new brass works best. If you are using a improved case I have learned it really doesnt take much force to turn the barrel and slightly buckle the parent case. You want a crush fit on these but I went too far and didnt know it. A headspace gauge will not do this. On a tight chamber this is more imortant than a saami chamber. JMTCW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

longtooth
I was going to go with the guage but couldn't find one for a 7mm RSAUM.

Fifty/lead lobber
I'm setting up a 7mm RSAUM on a Savage 300 WSM action with a 27" varmit wt. douglass XX barrel.

I already own a 300 WM so really didn't want to go with a 7 mag but wanted a little more pop than a .280 without going AI. That pretty much left the 7 SAUM or 7 WSM so I went with the SAUM thinking if I don't like it I can have it punched out to a WSM relativly cheap.

WinMagMan,

You wont see much difference between the SAUM and the WSM. They are both good rounds. Sadly the WSM is stomping the hell out of the SAUM in teh sales catagory but only because they got a jump on the market and the Rem rounds have just never really caught on solid. Does not detract from their performnace level and usefulness, great rounds.

The SAUM also tends to feed a bit smoother then the WSM from what I have seen.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby
That's the other reason I started with the SAUM, not everybody and their brother has one. I guess I just like being a little different.

Chris

I am presently playing with Savages and just reinstalled a barrel after having a muzzle brake put on.

This is how I did it and may not be perfect so approach with caution.

I chambered a FL sized case (used my die). Chambered the case and turned in the barrel until it 'hit' the case. Tighten nut while case and bolt is closed. That's it.

I test chambered other cases with proper chambering. Firing proved all was well. I neck size with a Lee collet die and have found no issues at all. In fact, the rifle shoots pretty well.

Here is a 'factory' link that has info about barrel install. Have fun with the Rem magnum..

Jerry

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/adamsandbennett/products.html

The ONLY time I want to use a headspace gauge on my Savage barrel installs is when I want to be able to shoot factory ammo in it at some point. The beauty of the Savage setup is that you can set the barrel to min. headspace using YOUR dies and YOUR brass, the actual stuff you will be shooting in it. I get fantastic groups with new prepped brass in a Savage that has been setup using a case vs. a gauge to install the barrel. Done it literally hundreds of times with perfect results every time.

Jerry
Thanks for the link, very similar info to what Sharp Shooters Supply has on their website.

Don
If I can find a guage I might try both ways out and see what I like, if not I'll use my brass. There's now way this baby will see factory ammo. (I hope)

Chris

If there is concern that an empty case may not be rigid enough, just fill it with 5 min epoxy. Solid...

So far no problems using the empty case, but i have just played with one rifle.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.