Heading to Sierra Vista, AZ

Korhil78

Gonna be heading out to Sierra Vista, AZ tomorrow to try to stick a Coues Deer during the rut. It is a little warm there and the activity might be a little slow. I am gonna give it a shot anyway. Should be a good time!

Well...I was successful! My goal was to shoot a smaller Coues deer with my bow just to get one under my belt. That way, I would know what to expect and when I shoot a bigger one next time, I will be ready. We had a nice little 4x3 that was coming in a lot during the day on the camera so we decided that it would be a good first buck for me. We got into the blind just before sun up and 5 minutes later we had a little spike come in. He looked up the canyon and ran off. Right after that the buck that I wanted to shoot came in following a doe. The spike came back but the bigger buck ran him off. He finally stopped broadside and I pulled my bow back and aimed about an inch low as I had heard that these little deer are quick and will duck your arrow. Well I fired and the buck didn't even move as the arrow went about 1" under him. I told my buddy in the blind with me (very experienced coues hunter) where I aimed and he chuckled. He said that at 20 yards and closer that they won't duck enough to matter so just aim a little low in the vitals and you are good.

For some unknown reason, the doe got back on the trail and the buck got right in behind her and presented me another shot. I placed the pin right on the vitals and released the arrow. The loud whack let me know it was a solid hit. The buck ran off behind some brush and I could hear him fall over. I could see my arrow and I could see that the fletchings were covered in blood. We waited a little bit and went and checked for blood. It was a 20 yard shot and we could see the deer down about 15 yards from where I hit him. The 100 gr slick trick put a big exit hole in him. The broad head went through both lungs and severed the top artery going into the heart. I was very pleased. I have killed an elk and a coues deer now with my bow and the slick tricks Havnt let me down yet.

image.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts