Heading north to Alaska!!

gamedog

Two weeks and counting!
Doing a fly in Black Bear hunt and my buddy will be after a Brown Bear on the same trip. We'll have 7 days in the field to take everything in.
I'm really stokked about the chance to do this and especially being involved on a Grizzly/ Brown Bear kill!
It'll be a self guided hunt as my buddy is still a Alaska resident.
It'll be quite a trip for this Montana boy:D
Pict's will follow!

where you guys heading?? Bears have been definitely prowling around....plenty of daylight to hunt too...Suns been out till about 930pm, maybe a little later...

best of luck to ya!

I know this is late, but good luck!!! I'd love to hear all about this hunt from start to finish. About two years ago I did a lot of research on self guided alaskan hunting/fishing trips. I'd love to read about the logistics of how this plan all came together.

Goog luck and post pictures!

Thanks guy's.

The trip is looking great.

We've got a confirmation on our Beaver Float Plane as being a go.

Last year the entire trip was cancelled at the last minute because of a late/long winter that kept the interior lakes froze. Our bags were packed, vacation time was marked, but luckily we held off on getting the airline tickets purchased.

This year is shaping up much better. I've been getting in a bit more trigger time my 338 Edge. My buddy say's the longest shots will not exceed 500-600 yards in which I feel 100% confident in.

Magnus from the forum here is my hunting partner on this one. He's no stranger to killing some nice critters both in Alaska and Montana .
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f52/974yard-over-33-mule-deer-35387/

He'll be shooting his 300 Win Mag Custom also built by Joe Starnes of LongShot Precisions. He'll be using the 180gr Berger VLD and I'll be shooting the 300gr SMK.

I'll keep you guy's posted with plenty of pictures:D

I will be heading into the bush near Delta Junction Alaska for Griz and black bear in 4 days. My wife drew an impossible (nearly) walk in (trophy unit) dall sheep tag for the August sheep season. SO we are going to spend a few days getting the lay of the land.

Hot tip from friends. Heavy bear population over the years. Many destroyed camps. Some have taken 43" sheep out of this area.

Still 4'-6' of snow in the shaded areas!

Hammer

Thank you Mike

Maybe things will turn around this summer and you can come up for Caribou and moose this fall. Good for Moose, fair for caribou!

Hammer

Gamedog , Magnus, Best of luck to you both. I hope this is a great trip for you guys. Having spent some time in the field with you both I have to say the Bears better high tail it. :cool::cool: gun)

Be safe, have a great time , and report in when you can

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.