Having trouble getting my 7 LRM to shoot

The barrel contour is a remington varmint. I tried the bullets in the lands to way off the lands and it never really changed any. The only way that I got it to shoot any better was if I slowed it down to about 2700-2800 fps.
The barrel is free floated. That was the first thing I checked.
I took it back to the gunsmith and he cut the brake off and recrowned it to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. I then took it back to him with dies, brass, bullets and powder because he said he would work with it. It set in his shop without moving for 3 weeks or more, so I went and got it.
I had a mule deer hunt coming up, which is what I built the gun for, and didn't have time to mess with it anymore. Its been leaning up in the corner ever since.
You could have the chamber opened up to 7mm STW without having it set back any. You would gain some velocity, and it might clean that chamber up enough to where it needs to be.

I don't think a 7 STW will clean up the chamber of the 7mm LRM. The STW case has a smaller case body diameter ahead of the belt than the 7mm LRM case body diameter.

Buttermilk is right, you'd need a 7RUM in order to clean it up and you might have to set it back a turn or two to totally clean up the neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.