having second thoughts...NOT ANYMORE im decided now

Tikkamike

I stated in another post that I ordered a couple krieger barrels today for 2 6.5x284 builds i am doing on tikka t3 actions. I ordered #4 contours which are. 670 at the muzzle and weight 3.5 lbs. I'm wondering if maybe I want #5's which are. .700 at the muzzle And weigh 4 lbs. The stocks are 4 lbs. I want a rifle that's not too heavy to carry but more important a nice sturdy non pencil looking barrel. And I want them to be well ballanced in the hand. Knowing the weight of the stocks what contour would you guys choose for a nice well balanced rifle?

Last edited:
Re: having second thoughts.. opinions please

My Remy 700 .300 win mag has a Krieger #10, tube before was a #7. Take a guess what I'll recommend. gun):D Never built a light gun, the Stevens .308 will be the first. Still I'm going heavy varmint 20".

For a good barrel such as a Krieger, I don't think it should make much difference on the first 3 shots.

If you're shooting 20 shot strings, then that's a different story.

I'm not much for middle of the road. If you want a light weight stalker, then go light. If you want a long range rifle, go heavy.

-- richard

Well I still want to carry it so a 10 may be a little heavy haha
Get yourself a tactical innovations m-24 sling. Even a heavy rifle isn't that heavy with a good sling.

Seriously though a #5 or #6 would be a great balance and give you some forward heft to keep muzzle flip and perceived recoil down a bit.

I put a #5 Fluted Lilja on my 300 ultra and it definetly seems cumberson. It is 27" long and then a Holland brake. I would of gone shorter and smaller contour if I did over again. Its hard to shoot off hand. You already have your lapua so why not make this one a Gentlemans rifle that is for packing. My 2 cents anyway..

I put a #5 Fluted Lilja on my 300 ultra and it definetly seems cumberson. It is 27" long and then a Holland brake. I would of gone shorter and smaller contour if I did over again. Its hard to shoot off hand. You already have your lapua so why not make this one a Gentlemans rifle that is for packing. My 2 cents anyway..

Good point. My lapua is a fluted #6 which weighs the same as a non fluted 5 and off hand shots aren't something I plan to do. It would be nice to have a slimmer LR rig

Not to flame you man but shooting offhand and a rifle chambered in a cartridge with the words "ultra" and "magnum" in the name seems a bit odd to me.

The only exception would be a safari gun.

Just my .02

Also I think the big issue isn't weight in so much as balance. My win mag is crazy front heavy. But is a pron, or shooting stick gun. If I ever have to shoot standing off hand the feces has hit the fan! :D

How about heavy contour and shave a few inches of the length? Saves a bit of mass, and makes it much more balance.

The magnum contour on my savage 300wsm is .670 at the muzzle and i think for a carry rifle it is just about perfect. But it is still very stable on the bench. I would say stick with the #4. I do a lot of hiking and both of y hunting rifles come in about 11.5lbs and trust me, it is more than enough to be annoyingly heavy.

I would look for a lighter stock,4lbs is a lot to give away for a hunting rifle,a Mcmillan HTG weighs around the 2.5lb mark.

I have a Ruger 77 MkII with a 26" #4 Krieger barrel chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. I pillar bedded the action in a laminated factory Ruger stock (that weighs far less than four pounds) and topped the combo with a Zeiss Conquest.

I have not weighed the rifle, so I don't know what it weighs all up. However, the combo is slim, comfortable to carry, and is just slightly muzzle heavy so it tracks smoothly and sits steady on a rest. For a carry rifle, I think the #4 contour is a very good choice. To keep the rifle in balance, however, I would go with a stock that weighs three pounds or less.

Provided that you lighten your stock some, I think you will be very happy with your choice of barrel contour in a rifle meant to be carried afield.

Helmickarms does make a regular sporter stock that is lighter that the Monte carlo and an ultra light. However the thing that draws me to the Monte Carlo is the cheek piece and the slight palm swell its a lot like a Sako stock

If you to be going for long range shots with a superb caliber like the 6.5x284, I would go with the heavier barrel. I have found that the added weight and balance of a barrel that has a minimum diameter of .7" just seems to sit and feel better on the long shots than a lighter one. I have used both and find the trade off in weight against shootability favors a heavier rig. Just my personal preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.