Havinfg some issues with my M 70

cmillett79

I just got back a couple months ago from Iraq .. Before I left I decided to send my NIB ss classic 300win mag (NOT the new FN version) to HCR to have it set in an hs precision and accurized ... Well now Im back and have waited for some cool mornings to shoot this rig.... I shot factory ammo out of it , Federal Prem. 165 nosler solid base which best group was arund .80", Then I shot some 180 gr PowerPoints and was able to get 1.25".....At 1st I thought it was just me untill I went back into my gun volt and shot some of my other rifes , well it wasnt me..... So after this I started shooting at 250yds with the 165s and was only able to get 5" groups ! I stacked them in there with my custom M700 300saum ??? It cant be me I keep thinking... I noticed the trigger wasnt to my liking so much so I took the action out and dropped a about 1lb off the trigger to where I like it...... I put the rifle back together and torqued the action screw (not the front trgger screw) to 65"lbs......I shot and loved the trigger but my groups were worse !?!? At this point Im getting seriously ****ed....Shot her at 200yds and again 5" groups with the Fed prem. ammo....Let me back up a bit before going on, I got this rifle to have a "standard" magnum in my collection and also for a 400-500 yd deer/elk rifle...I sent it to HCR so I wouldnt have to reload for it an just shoot fact. ammo....Back to present , I backed the action screws out and retorqued them to 55-60"lbs..The groups closed up a bit , not enough to my liking...

Well looks like I will have to reload for this rifle since I dont wanna spend my savings on trying dfferent brands of fact ammo..

Any suggestions on what to try with the rifle ?

BTW , I will be using a 165-180gr Ballistic Tip out to 500yds for deer.. For elk I will be using 180-200gr Partitions,again out to 500yds ... Some reload suggestion would be appreciated for both .

Last edited:
HCR can tell you what factory load they used. I believe it is Hornady 180 SP for the 300 WM.

I would use the 180gn AccuBond for both deer and elk out to 500yds. I get very good accuracy with the 180gn Ballistic Tip at 100yds (.370") and at 560yds (3.677") with my Savage .300WinMag. This load is traveling a modest 3094fps, as that's where the accuracy was, however, it can be pushed faster. It shot .636" @ 3117fps and .7675" @ 3154fps. This was with H4350 and 9.5M primers.
I used 75.5gn of RL22 with the 180gn SMK to get 3133fps and .346" @ 100yds. Accuracy wasn't quiet as good at 560yds with this bullet, running 4.778". That may have been me and will have to re-try it later. JohnnyK.

Thanks for the reply guys .

I believe HCR used the hornady load...I was just under the impression that any prem. ammo should shoot an 1" or less @ 100.....I guess not...Im gonna give them a call today and see what they suggest on the rifle an fact. ammo...

Thanks for the reloading data as well...I was looking at the 180 ABs as well for both...Since I alreadt have 180 BTs tho Im gonna use them for now (for deer)..I also have some H4359 on hand as well alomg with Fed match LRM primers... I am thinking of startiong out at .20" off the lands and about 5grns under published max loads....Im gonna leave the rifle as is untill I develop this load .. If I cant get this to group well I will know theres something going on with the rifle..All Im waiting on now is some a new battery for my caliper.

I will post my results when available...Hopefully I will have a 500yd deer load developed.

Re: Having some issues with my M 70

Spoke with Matt at HCR today ....... He suggested to retorque the action screws to 50"lbs and add about .5lb to the trigger...He also said that the fact. ammo was using (even tho one was fed prem.) wasnt not very accurate ammo at all .. That made me feel better about the rifle.. He suggested that if I use fact ammo to use Fed 165 TSX triple shocks , also 180 Hornady along the the Fed loaded BTs...Those are a bit expensive so Im going to reload for the rig...He also suggested to get a better aftermarket trigger.

After the phone call I retorqed the action screws to 50"lbs and also added about .5lb to the trigger..Went out on the back porch and shot 3 rnds at 112yds for a 1.20" triangle with the Fact. Fed 165 nosler solid base..Tho this is not the accuracy Im looking for it does however reinsure me since I was told this wasnt accurate ammo that my reloads should perform far better.

As of now Im going to order a rifle basix trigger and also develop some loads,

Neck sized brass
180gr Nosler BTs
H 4350
Fed match LRM primers

Im going to start .20" off the lands and at 67-68grns of powder..I would like to get these 180s to break 3100fps accurately..I dont think I will have a problem with a 26" tube.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sir...one Vet to another....I haven't fired a factory round since I was 15 years old; I'm now 70 and I shoot thousands of rounds a year! I have NEVER been able to get any rifle I ever owned to deliver onto me the accuracy I desired shooting factory ammo! As for your M70...I bought one several years back, the first year a left-hand model was available! It would not even hold the ten ring on the NRA HP target which is 7" diameter. Not even with good reloads! I tore the thing out of the stock, blue-printed the action, installed a new barrel, a total re-bed job, and then...I had me a rifle! Me thinks your rifle will eventually come in!

SEMPER FI!!

I just finished banging my head on the wall with similar issues with my Mod 70 Classic in 270 WSM. Came to conclusion that the barrel was croked and re straitened at factory. 1st 3 shots was good enough for the once a year deer hunt. ..... So now its being re barreled with a match barrel in 7MM WSM. No more factory rifles for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts