(HAT) Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet 338 Rum Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark, I don't have them in front of me, but is I remember correctly the 265 HAT's are 1.77" and the 300 SMK's are 1.7".

Thanks,

I've got this report that Bryan posted about a year ago. In it he fleshes out the ballisitc merits of the 265 HAT very well. It's a very good read. The 265 HAT is 1.785" long. Not a whole lot longer than the 300 SMK which is also 36.5 gr heavier.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/HATS_Report.pdf

Lets look at another 267 gr .338 cal bullet with a .9 BC It's average G1 BC is actuallty about .8 from 3000-1200 fps. It is a lot longer and has a lot longer nose than the HAT 265

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/HATS_Report.pdf

If you compare the HAT with the GS bullet, you'll see there is a big difference.

I find this subject very interesting and have a question about overal group size ?
Lets say you have an overall group size of .394" and the bullet diameter of .284 so you minus the diameter of the bullet to get the overall group measurement? I too shoot the 300grn. SMK and get .5 " groups all day long but if I minus the .338 bullet diameter that would be a group size of .162" ?

Thank you.

gun)

I find this subject very interesting and have a question about overal group size ?
Lets say you have an overall group size of .394" and the bullet diameter of .284 so you minus the diameter of the bullet to get the overall group measurement? I too shoot the 300grn. SMK and get .5 " groups all day long but if I minus the .338 bullet diameter that would be a group size of .162" ?

Thank you.

gun)

What i read and do is subtract the diameter of the hole the bullet makes in the paper. For my 308 with 178 a-maxs that's around 0.24" from what I remember.

Download On Target free software:

OnTarget Software

Since it draws a bullet hole the correct size it is easy to calculate group size..edge.

Thank you.

gun)

What most do if you want to get as accurates as possible, is to measure the outside edges of the two farthest holes in the group and then subtract the cal diameter of the bullet. Or you can just guesstimate the center to center of the holes.

I just go center to center of each hole...gets me close enough.

I got $50,000.00 that says your wrong..
care to wager?

Wrong about what? Being abrasive or that you get along?

:D :D :D :D

I wonder how long it will be before this thread gets 'closed' like all of the other threads that feature the famous 'HAT(s)' in the title??!! :D

Think I am gonna go make some popcorn and stay tuned!

Last edited:
I have had long conversations with both of them.
They are much less abrasive on the phone.
Actually they are enjoyable to speak with.
Give them a call and try the bullets.
You may be pleasantly surprised.
With a money back guarantee it's a
no lose situation

SNIP.

no lose situation

Just curious if the guarantee includes that you will get The Same Drops as reported by LV ?
If it does, then I would agree that they would probably be worth a try!

edge.

no lose situation

You said what I didn't have the guys to say. I have emailed back and forth with Mr.Henson and he seems pretty nice.
May be a lil "abrasive" here because from his point of view, he is sponsoring a site full of guys ****ing him off and badmouthing his bullets... Sure some actual independant testing would help clear a lot of it up, but I'm speaking about HIS point of view.

+1 RockZ

Oliver Lottermann

DITTO, although LV has a long history of not doing well on this site, GreyGhost is a really nice guy whose dander may be up a little right now becuase he is an honest businessman trying to bring an innovative product to the long range world. The involvement of LV seriously harmed his chances thus far.

Now LV is no longer a "spokesman" but please understand that GreyGhost is going to be a little sensitive to criticism because of the LV issue.

So why don't you guys relax a little and give GreyGhost some breathing room. Even if he wasn't paying for advertising I would feel the same about my last statement. I feel part of the mission of this site has always to be an incubator for new LR products that may develop and benefit us all.

It is counterproductive in any field that invollves science and tech issues to jump all over the person attempting to innovate. I had this same attitude about many product discussions long before I started offering advertising. Those of you who have been here from the LRH beginning in 2001 know this to be true.

Think about the next innovator on the site who is reading these threads about HATS and saying to himself: "Why the hell whould I want to put myself through this angst on LRH, I'll just drop the whole idea of a better LRH widget, it isn't worth the effort".

Now someone is going to make a speech about "truth" and say they are only after "truth" that sacrosanct topic. Well, ok, we all want truth, that always comes out in the end on LRH anyway, but why can't we let the development play out without so much emotion?

Do many of you remember the heated discussions of Wildcat Bullets' BC's? That got so bad that the previous owner and Kirby, a leading proponent, didn't even want to quote a BC.

So, the BC is what it is. I know the BC may be different than what has been put out there but I have bought custom bullets from Cauteruco for years, too, thinking the BC that Bob quoted his shooters to be accurate. When I learned through another source recently that Bob's BC's were lower I didn't get all bent out of shape and call him a liar.

In reading more lately about BC testing I realize that BC's are very difficult for small bullet manufacturers to measure and that is true of the 3rd party shooters who do FREE testing. In the Cauterucio case, Bob simply relied on his customers to tell him what they thought the BC's were. It turns out his were unintentionally inflated by nearly 80 points. Again, I did not call him a liar or hold it against him. And neither am I saying HATS are less than LV stated, only that it's tough to know and we should all relax a bit during the fact finding stages.

As to my motives in this post, if you knew my personal character as well as 100 different companies that dealt with me in a couple of very successful business in the past you wouldn't dream of questioning them. My business practices were known and talked about as being almost without peer within the business community and with extremely high regard. It is frankly quite hurtful to me to see recent comments made about the profit motive of this site.

Believe me, if HATS ceases to be a Sponsor on this site I won't spend a second counting the balance in my checkbook. But I will regret the way this whole thing has played out.

So relax a little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.