Has anyone tried the new-ish Hornady .224 52 gr ELD Match on Woodchucks??

If the 52gr ELD-M is anything like the 52gr A-max that Hornady used to make, they should work extremely well. One of my best friends had a Winchester Coyote in 22-250 and I believe they have a 1-14tw barrel. I worked up many different loads for it and the only two bullets it liked were 40 grainers of just about any make and the 52gr Amax. Never shot anything except paper and 4 or 5 coyotes with it but those 52 Amax made tiny little groups and were VERY deadly on yotes and were definitely NOT pelt friendly.

With this new 52gr ELD-M having a polymer tip, I'd sure think they'd turn a woodchuck inside out, especially, if you plan to launch them 3600fps+ or 3600++. Should make for some fun viewing.

If the 52gr ELD-M is anything like the 52gr A-max that Hornady used to make, they should work extremely well. One of my best friends had a Winchester Coyote in 22-250 and I believe they have a 1-14tw barrel. I worked up many different loads for it and the only two bullets it liked were 40 grainers of just about any make and the 52gr Amax. Never shot anything except paper and 4 or 5 coyotes with it but those 52 Amax made tiny little groups and were VERY deadly on yotes and were definitely NOT pelt friendly.

With this new 52gr ELD-M having a polymer tip, I'd sure think they'd turn a woodchuck inside out, especially, if you plan to launch them 3600fps+ or 3600++. Should make for some fun viewing.

When Hornady announced the ELD-X line of bullets, because they had discovered that their plastic tips were melting down range from air friction... I called them and asked if they were going to put the new plastic tips in their varmint bullet line.

The "Tech Guy" said no, and I pointed out that varmint bullets were shot faster (more air friction) at longer ranges ( longer exposure to the heat), and were lighter (more disruption of the bullet by a damaged tip).... and they should get the new plastic tips too.
He was clearly in over his head and couldn't answer, so he politely hung up.

I wasn't sure about the melting tip story, cuz if it is true,then why have two types of plastic in the production line - just switch them all over to the new high temperature plastic.

But the .224 52gr ELD Match is a "varmint bullet" - the jacket is 0.001" thinner than the 53 V-Max (according to the email I got from Hornady this morning), so I figured that this would be a good bullet to try in my new Rem 40XB in 22-250...

.... especially if the melting tip story is true.

But before getting some, I would like to hear about them first from someone that has already used them.

If not, I might have to be the first kid on the block to try them.

I shot well over a thousand of the old 52 gr. AMax's out of a 22-250 over a period of years. They were especially accurate and were death on coyotes, prairie dogs, and marmots. I just sent the rifle back to Cooper for a new barrel. I called Hornady and asked about the ELD M's and was told they are AMax's with the new tip.

Before I had my 22-250 re-barreled with a 12 twist, the 52 AMAX bullets outshot everything else I tried, though 50 VMAX's were a close second. The bc isn't any higher than the 50 VMAX, but it is about the best that will reliably stabilize from a 14 twist. The only critter I had occasion to shoot with that bullet was a headshot on a marauding raccoon. The bullet was VERY destructive and is certainly a legit varmint bullet.

As others have mentioned, the ELD-M is simply the AMAX with the new plastic tip. With the right powders, it can be launched at 3800+, which goes a long way toward reducing wind drift out to 350 yards or so.

The title tells the question - I am looking for some new bullets this year, the 53 V-Max is a bit long for the 14" twist, and the on the 50 V-Max BC is kinda low, so I thought this 52 match might be worth trying.

CatShooter, did you ever get around to shooting any of these new 52gr Hornady's in your 1-14 22-250 and if so how did it go???

CatShooter, did you ever get around to shooting any of these new 52gr Hornadys in your 1-14 22-250 and if so how did it go???

Sorry to not get back for so long... I moved twice.

I tried the 53gr VMaxs in my 22-250s, and .220 Swift, (all 3 rifles have 14" twists) and at full loads, they DO stabilize, so with the increased BC of the 53hr VMaxs, it was no contest... I ran with those.

maybe it is SURFACE AREA and velocity...bigger tips more area.
I got the same story when I asked about 6mm 105s

I couldn't find anything but the 52gn eld m and used it for deer hunting the last 3 years in my 1/12 savage 22/250 nice doe at 250 yards she didn't take a step second nice buck at 50 yards I hit shoulder it's the only shot I had he went 30 yards and dropped both deer had jelly for vitals you don't get a passthrough but Why do you need one when there's no heart or lung's left I believe I have them going around 3680.i did find them both at the hide on the opposite side they had about 60%mass left