has anyone heard about these guys?

I was wondering the same thing, they have some excellennt footage taking different species at longrange. They seem to know what they're doing.

I am not a good enough judge of antelope behavior to have taken the first shot.
Shooting a 240 Wby at about 3275 fps and a BC of 0.595, I have a full second of travel time to a 1000 yards. I like my antelope to be good and still and to be in a "behavior pattern" that lets me know it will stay put while the bullet is in the air. Being from the east I do not get to spend a lot of time studying behavior of antelope so I have to be more careful than other people. Of course, I also miss a lot even when they are still because the wind drives me crazy.

Thompson Long Range. They have a long range shooting school (in Utah i believe) that they advertise in hunting mags. They've been around for a while. I called them a couple years ago when i first saw the ad, they shoot .30-378's accumarks with a varmint style stock and used the Premier Reticle dots when i talked to him. I don't know if they still use them after the whole fallout with Leupold. He sent me a 12 minute DVD back then that was very impressive - several kill shots over the 800 yard mark. I can't for the life of me remeber what bullet they were using although he told me. They don't do as much as the Best of the West guys as far as smithing or anything to my knowledge, they just have a system they like and seem pretty successful with it. Their school consists of you taking a new accumark out of the box, install a scope, go over some basic reloading and ballistics, and hit the range. 2 day deal. I didn't like that fact that the scope was already set-up and you basically started with their "pet load" and tinkered with it to get the velocity to match the dots. Seemed to me that finding what the gun liked first and then doing your dots was a better way to go, but just my opinion. This was all when i spoke with him a couple years back so it may be different now. Real nice guy, seemed knowledgeable. I think they have a full length video out now.

Sundevil, no sane person does the kind of stuff I do. Secondly, I do not own a chronograph so I just tell whatever lie is convenient at the moment about bullet speed.

I have a 30 inch Spencer 1-8 twist barrel. A minimum SAAMI chamber with a match leade and no freebore. The action is trued and tight. I shoot 115 Bergers jammed hard with 51.0 grains of RL 22 and Fed 210 GM. This will ruin a piece of brass and on 90 degree days if the rifle and ammo are in the sun you will have to hammer the bolt open and the primer will fall out into the action. But it will cut through an antelope at 1K like a knife through hot butter. You would not believe the exit holes it makes. It will go through a big hog like it wasn't even there.
The Sierra 105 MKs have a tougher jacket and pressure goes up faster than the Bergers so you cannot get the same speed out of them.

Predicted barrel life is about 400 rounds, but the rifle is so great I don't care. It weighs about 18 pounds and is like a bag of cement just laying there waiting for you to pull the trigger.

I simply remind you that this is an extreme pressure load and not to be taken lightly. On hot days things go bad in a hurry and I have personally been there and done that and don't need to do it again.

I use holdover dots and a sporter rifle. Does that mean I am not credible, or just incredible ;) ???

They DO it, apparently without using a $4k custom 32" bbl rig so popular here, and I applaud them. And I think they are on the vid or selling the 4 dvd set for 99.00 of LRH and how to do it( I hope it aint a Huskemaw ad).

It seems like LRH is to the point now where we need a network TV Show, our own specialty magazine, and a dvd production company.

I think they are on the vid or selling the 4 dvd set for 99.00 of LRH and how to do it( I hope it aint a Huskemaw ad).
I think you are thinking of the Best of the West guys (How to Shoot Beyond Belief series) They are the ones using the Huskemaw scopes also.

I love the fact that there are more long range hunting dvd's and such coming out. The more info i can get my hands on and learn from the better.

are they credible long range hunters? I know they just use hold over dots, and sporter rifles.
YouTube - 1115 & 1016 Yard Antelope Hunting - Long Range Shooting

Yep. I know all about them. Wish I didn't. I hate to slam another business but these guys need to be fingered out in the interest of people trying to learn properly.

Shall I go over the list of "what not to do's"?

Ballistic reticles instead of dialing MOA
Weatherby actions instead of ANYTHING ELSE!
Factory ammunition instead of hand tuned ammo.
30-378 instead of ANYTHING ELSE!
Practicing on 52" diamond gongs instead of life size gongs representative of real big game dimensions
Talley rings instead of something that works.
Factory bedding jobs (or lack of bedding I should say) instead of bedding done right.

Enough? Not quite. I should also mention their school is triple the price of my school or Carlock's with less than half the information.

Now you get the idea of what you can expect.

Yep. I know all about them. Wish I didn't. I hate to slam another business but these guys need to be fingered out in the interest of people trying to learn properly.

Shall I go over the list of "what not to do's"?

Ballistic reticles instead of dialing MOA
Weatherby actions instead of ANYTHING ELSE!
Factory ammunition instead of hand tuned ammo.
30-378 instead of ANYTHING ELSE!
Practicing on 52" diamond gongs instead of life size gongs representative of real big game dimensions
Talley rings instead of something that works.
Factory bedding jobs (or lack of bedding I should say) instead of bedding done right.

Enough? Not quite. I should also mention their school is triple t.he price of my school or Carlock's with less than half the information.

Now you get the idea of what you can expect.
They seem to kill game instantly, I wonder how many shots they miss before they get a kill. You aim for air you hit air

What they told me...

Thompson Long Range. They have a long range shooting school (in Utah i believe) that they advertise in hunting mags. They've been around for a while. I called them a couple years ago when i first saw the ad, they shoot .30-378's accumarks with a varmint style stock and used the Premier Reticle dots when i talked to him. I don't know if they still use them after the whole fallout with Leupold. He sent me a 12 minute DVD back then that was very impressive - several kill shots over the 800 yard mark. I can't for the life of me remeber what bullet they were using although he told me. They don't do as much as the Best of the West guys as far as smithing or anything to my knowledge, they just have a system they like and seem pretty successful with it. Their school consists of you taking a new accumark out of the box, install a scope, go over some basic reloading and ballistics, and hit the range. 2 day deal. I didn't like that fact that the scope was already set-up and you basically started with their "pet load" and tinkered with it to get the velocity to match the dots. Seemed to me that finding what the gun liked first and then doing your dots was a better way to go, but just my opinion. This was all when i spoke with him a couple years back so it may be different now. Real nice guy, seemed knowledgeable. I think they have a full length video out now.

I talked to them within the last 2 mos. and was told that they do use off the shelf Weatherbys, but that they handload for each rifle using 180g Nosler Accubonds and Retumbo powder...scopes are zeroed at 300 yards ( according to the video) with 3 dots below for 4,5,600 yds...then there is a line for 700 and 3 dots more which are smaller and spaced for 8,9 1000 yds...I personally enjoyed the video...can't comment much further....The guy on the phone seemed very cordial to me as well....30-338

180 grain Accubonds out of a 30-378? Seems like a waste, why not Bergers, or at least the 200 grain Accubonds for BC? How do they compensate for wind?

are these the guys that advertise in Huntin Fool magazine????

the advertisment i am talking about shows a bunch of guys standing next to pretty much giant diamond shaped gongs with groups printed on them.

I dont know much about them so i wont really comment but the advertisment didnt really blow my skirt up

GG, you gave me a good idea for a topic i am gonna start, i will put it in this catagory so add to it if you got time.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.