Has anyone ever heard of annealing Hornady SSTs or InterBonds?

slickyboyboo

I read this just a bit ago, and was just curious if any of you had heard of this?

"Annealing can produce two benefits. In the first instance, it helps the frontal area of both the SST and IB to swage back after expansion, the frontal area folds back against the bullet shank and the reduced frontal area allows for much deeper penetration- but without sacrificing wound channel diameters.

In the second instance, at long range, the softer ogive gives faster expansion, imparting energy more readily, improving wound channel diameters. This helps the Interbond to create broad wounding at ranges of around 400 yards in various calibiers while allowing the SST to produce admirable performance out to ranges exceeding 1000 yards."

no i havent but i know that Barnes anneals their bullets before polishing them and packaging them.

It is discussed on an informative website on rifles and hunting. I believe the fellow is a forum member and his location is New Zealand I believe.

I have the website link saved as favorite on my home laptop.....

He shows putting them in a pair of grips, and rotating them slowly once through the flame. I am wondering if you could softly chuck them in a drill and spin them over a flame faster, and have the same or better results. Seems like the disperson of heat would be more uniform. I would also think you would need a little more heat to change the metal.

Last edited:
+1, it is all B.S.

Those Kiwis have great fun taking the micky out of people. This is just another example.

By the way, the Interbonds are very soft and don't need to be made any softer.

I think he is full of it. I e-mailed him asking if he ever annealed a Barnes and he said no because at long range if the bullet doesn't fragment a large amount of its weight it wont kill fast, even if the bullet expands to twice its original diameter. Broz has had an exit with every elk that he shot with his 338 Lapua and Berger 300 OTM bullets and they apparently kill just fine. I think he mentioned somewhere that 80-90% fragmentation is what he prefers.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.