Has anyon had a 7saum throated specifically for the 195 EOL (long action)

Crowe284

So, you might have seen my posts on this subject in other threads I have started. I have talked to many people and have not gotten the same answer twice for creating a dummy round for throating. At this point, i am looking for input for anyone who has had a 7saum built on a long action around the 195 EOL. If you have, please share your information pertaining to setting up dummy round for throating for this bullet.

I have gotten the following:
-seat bullet with bearing surface at neck/shoulder junction
-seat bullet with bearing surface 10-15 thou above neck/shoulder junction
-seat bullet with bearing surface 20-25 thou above neck/shoulder junction
-seat bullet at 3.100 OAL which puts quite a bit of the bullet in the case and after load development the OAL usually ends up at 3.075 to 3.09, which again seems to me after looking at data on bullet eats up a lot of cartridge space.

This will be my first custom setting up with a specific bullet. All other rifles I have built have just been chambered with SAMMI reamers. This is my "dream rifle" (to each their own!) and I want to get it right.

Again, this gun is being built on a stiller predator long action with AI LA DBM bottom metal and AICS mags. Barrel is a proof research 8.24 twist finished at 26" plus APA GEN II lil bast*** brake. . Mag space is not an issue. I'm just seeking info from someone who has done it and what they settled on, why and how it's performing for them.

I have a ton of H1000 and will start there with the stockpile of virgin Norma brass. Ideally I'm looking to hit 2800 fps minimum which I understand is doable and doable with great accuracy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I was going to settle on shooting the 180 VLDH but that was not my original intention for this rifle and don't want to regret not setting up for the bad *** 195!

Many thanks,
Crowe

if you are set on the 195 dummy round will be 3.116 at neck shoulder junction. I have a barrel at nitrate now set up for the 195 with a bore rider my dummy round 3.146 have more info when it comes back.

if you are set on the 195 dummy round will be 3.116 at neck shoulder junction. I have a barrel at nitrate now set up for the 195 with a bore rider my dummy round 3.146 have more info when it comes back.

So, what was your reasoning for creating your dummy @ 3.146? This is what I'm trying to determine after hearing so many differing opinions.

Also, my math is a little different than yours when looking at bullet bearing surface at neck/shoulder junction:

Case base to neck shoulder junction =1.724
Bearing surface = .524
Nose length = .874
= 3.122 with bearing surface at neck/shoulder junction

Thanks for the response.

the difference in math is mine came off my reamer print and yours is actual case length 3.146 dummy was because when testing with standard throat had best accuracy between .015-.030 off so I built that into reamer.

the difference in math is mine came off my reamer print and yours is actual case length 3.146 dummy was because when testing with standard throat had best accuracy between .015-.030 off so I built that into reamer.

Gotcha. I know all rifles are different and some might like a jump and some a jam but from what I have gathered from others is that the bullet likes to jump. If i look at total range of jump it's between .010 and .025 off lands. Haven't had anyone tell me that their rifle liked them jammed. Bet that's due to the hybrid design of the bullet.

the hybrid design is more forgiving. I even got them to shoot at over 0.100 off. same thing with 30 cal 215 hybrids right now I shoot those 0.095 off. you just have to do the load work up. my barrel is do back from controlled thermal next week will let you know how much the bore rider helped. estimating 2850-2875

Since you are going to let GA make the decision about when to stop reaming, why don't you let them make the whole decision? Send them a bullet and a case and let them determine the length it should be.

Since you are going to let GA make the decision about when to stop reaming, why don't you let them make the whole decision? Send them a bullet and a case and let them determine the length it should be.

Well, that would be ideal but they insisted on sending in a couple dummy rounds. I talked to George and he told me to seat bullet with bearing surface at neck shoulder junction. I'm assuming if I sent them bullets and brass, they would do the same thing anyways.

Everyone that I have spoken to about this bullet says it likes to jump (.010-.025)...haven't heard of anyone jamming these hybrids. Wandering if I ought to build that jump in to the OAL of my dummy so I don't have to loose cae capacity? If I do like George says, I will be able to chase lands longer I guess. Just want to find a happy medium. Maybe bearing surface .015 above neck shoulder junction....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.