Hart barrels

morning, DougW, ur articule is very hard for me to believe!!! these professional people

at Hart barrels r very barrel making orientated. they make barrels of all designs. why don't

talk to Karen and let the shooting public see her response.

Last edited:
I had Hart do a .300rum for me, work was top notch.
I have a rem 700 with Hgun)art barrel when I purchased it was chambered in 7mm Mauser. The rifle was rechambered in 7mm mauser Ackley Imp. and it shoots very well. This rifle is now a single shot and has a lapped feeder block in stead of a magazine feeder. I would rebarrel another rifle with a Hart ,if I had the need.

I have nothing but great things to say about Hart. I have 2 one in 300WM and one in 22-243. I coulnt be happier with the service and professionalism I received. My next one will be Hart also.

I am glad everyone has had a good experience with hart and I don't care what you believe thats not what happened to me. Wish it did

Lesson learned, if you are going to build a LR rifle, you need to research which reamer mftr specs matches what dies AND THEN order that reamer for yourself.

In the big scheme of things a reamer is cheap compared to the hassle of trying to rebarrel down the road with another reamer that does not match your dies and brass. You have to get new dies, new brass etc and start all over.

Having your own reamer gives you a running start.

too many variations of a chamber out there especially one that is not SAAMI

Local gunsmith says all heart bbls are made by Douglas barrels but are lapped by a Hart employee's .
It's been decades since I've heard that old myth.

if you are going to build a LR rifle, you need to research which reamer mftr specs matches what dies AND THEN order that reamer for yourself.

In the big scheme of things a reamer is cheap compared to the hassle of trying to rebarrel down the road with another reamer that does not match your dies and brass. You have to get new dies, new brass etc and start all over.

Having your own reamer gives you a running start.

too many variations of a chamber out there especially one that is not SAAMI
I see this stuff put in print many times; for both LR and other range rifles. But I do not see how a chamber reamer can make a rimless bottleneck sizing die that'll reduce any fired case diameter. Yes, it can headspace the sizing die with a standard shell holder or even make die headspace a couple thousandths less than the typical .004" to .005" less than a GO headspace gauge. Seating dies are something else. And no full length sizing die's chamber dimensions I've measured even comes close to that of SAAMI chamber specs.

What percent of the match winners and record setters in all competitive disciplines where accuracy counts have their sizing dies' chambers match that of their rifle barrels?

Please help me understand this "matching" thing between sizing die and barrel chambers.

Last edited:
It's been decades since I've heard that old myth.

I see this stuff put in print many times; for both LR and other range rifles. But I do not see how a chamber reamer can make a rimless bottleneck sizing die that'll reduce any fired case diameter. Yes, it can headspace the sizing die with a standard shell holder or even make die headspace a couple thousandths less than the typical .004" to .005" less than a GO headspace gauge. Seating dies are something else. And no full length sizing die's chamber dimensions I've measured even comes close to that of SAAMI chamber specs.

What percent of the match winners and record setters in all competitive disciplines where accuracy counts have their sizing dies' chambers match that of their rifle barrels?

Please help me understand this "matching" thing between sizing die and barrel chambers.

It is not the headspacing, it is the body sizing. You want minimal around .001 and no more.

There are numerous reamers of any given caliber that are available that size wise can be all over the spectrum. Same thing with die mftrs, that is why some dies will not size enough for a given chamber.

Harrels in VA makes dies in .001 body sizing variance for the PPC and dasher and you send your 3x fired brass to them and they will give you the correct die and if it does not work, they will change it out. They do it for other cartridges also.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/full-length-die with 8 different dies for each caliber

Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision will take a Redding body die, take 10 cases from your gun fired 3x and hones it to give the perfect sizing and convert it to a FL bushing die, cost is $80.

As for how competitors many use that technique, almost all anymore in the serious accuracy game. Dave Kiff can match his reamers to Redding dies, for example as he provides the reamers for standard cartridges to them.

What's the difference in how perfect a rimless bottleneck case centers its bullet in the bore when fired if one fired case body is sized down .001" and another .002"; both head spaced the same?

What if the pressure ring is sized down .001" more or less than the body at the shoulder?

What's the difference in how perfect a rimless bottleneck case centers its bullet in the bore when fired if one fired case body is sized down .001" and another .002"; both head spaced the same?

What if the pressure ring is sized down .001" more or less than the body at the shoulder?

Not sure how you could possibly size the pressure ring more than the body at the shoulder since the shoulder has to go thru the sizing porting of the lower die BEFORE it gets to the top of the die. Both would be the same!

Also, might not make as much difference at .002, as .004 or more or more but in the extreme accuracy game, with no spotters or coaches during record fire, every little bit counts when winner is decided by .001 sometimes and not a large 10 ring or X ring.

Minimal FL sizing works the brass less and gives 100% reliability.

morning, Woody26. if u r interested I have a brand new Shilen SS Select match

#7 contour .338cal barrel for sale, will finish to 30". $425 shipped.

[email protected]

contact if interested!!. Hart barrels r very good. my 7mm Wbee mag.#6 contour SS

select match shoots real good, #9 twist. finished to 28" my smithy here in TX. is outstanding.

I am a firm believer in long stiff barrels. my choice.

Not sure how you could possibly size the pressure ring more than the body at the shoulder since the shoulder has to go thru the sizing porting of the lower die BEFORE it gets to the top of the die. Both would be the same!
All my bottleneck FL dies' body diameters at their shoulder are smaller than that near the base where the pressure ring gets sized down.

All it takes is to have a die chamber diameters at those places end up with a different taper than that of a fired round. I've seen as much as .002" spread in the front diameter's lesser diameter than the back one.

The case dimensions and thickness will also play a part in how much the body gets sized down throughout its length. They're determined by the chamber dimensions and their difference to the case about to be fired.

Either way, as long as the rounds are straight, the case neck and bullet will be well centered in the chamber up front where it counts. And it's also very repeatable from round to round. The amount of clearance between case body and chamber is never equal all the way around anyway; it's often zero opposite the extractor claw. And it's changed by firing pin impact which moves case heads at their back end in the chamber before the round fires.

All my bottleneck FL dies' body diameters at their shoulder are smaller than that near the base where the pressure ring gets sized down.

Yes, but that means no way the shoulder could be wider than the pressure ring on a sized case. What it means is the shoulder would be sized going in AND coming out to the diameter of the pressure ring IF someone had a die that was made to have the shoulder wider than the pressure ring. However, never heard of one and cannot think of a reason why anyone would want one.

I'm talking about the fired case pressure ring being sized down .003" and the body at the shoulder down .001"; for example. Which is what happens when the fired case body taper is more than the die's body taper. I've got six .308 Win full length sizing dies; none have the same body taper nor diameters at a given point up from their base. They're just like barrel chambers in that respect.

Not talking about the pressure ring being sized down to smaller than the shoulder-body juncture diameter; that ain't gonna happen on this planet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.