Hart barrels

Woody26

First off, I have a serious .338 cal itch that needs scratched. Well I have decided that the 338 Edge is the chambering for me.

I will start off with the Rem 700 M40 long range in 300 rum, which I will sell the barrel off of.

While searching many barrel makers on the web I happened to run across Hart barrels. I noticed that they will chamber, install the barrel, true the action, lap the lugs and crown for $700 (price of barrel included).
I'm thinking sendaro or varmint countour finished at 30" Spiral fluted

Now onto my question, Hart will also install a Vais break for $195. Is this the only break they will install or will they install a timed break such as muscle breaks?

Also, if any of you have had them re-barrel your action, please chime in with your results.
This will be my first time with custom work. Any advice is appreciated.

Woody

I've never used them, but have heard excellent things. Let us know. I also hear the VIAS brakes are good. I've had good luck with radial brakes in the past, so I'd assume they'd work fine.

I've had them do 2 in the past. I nothing but praise for the folks at Hart!! Karen Hart's CS is very good. Both of my rifles shoot great as well.

Have a good buddy that had a hart barrel installed in the 338 RUM with really poor results. Had to have it barreled again. This time he had Trevor at Cloud Peak Gunworks Home Page do the work with outstanding results. This guy is a treasure chest to talk with & hard core long range shooter/hunter/harvester Worth the phone call gun)

I have never used a Hart barrel, but have experience with several .338 EDGE rifles. If you are doing serious longrange shooting go with a heavier contour than sendero . Even if the mechanical accuracy is equivalent, it is quite a bit harder to shoot a rifle with a lighter contour at extended distances. If you are planning on shooting prone, you will like the brakes with no bottom ports much better. Gary

I have my doubts that Jim Hart would have an issue with a rifle he barreled and not stand behind his work! In fact, I had them to build a 6.5-06 that shot lights out with 120g BT but wouldn't shoot the 140 Bergers all that well. After discussing the problem it was discovered that I had a 1:10 TW barrel. Jim paid for the shipping both ways and had my "new" barrel fitted and returned in 2 weeks. In my book that can't be beat!

Point to above post added: it was almost 2 years after I received the original barrel that I informed them of the problem. That was my first build and they didn't know me from Adam.

I have my doubts that Jim Hart would have an issue with a rifle he barreled and not stand behind his work! In fact, I had them to build a 6.5-06 that shot lights out with 120g BT but wouldn't shoot the 140 Bergers all that well. After discussing the problem it was discovered that I had a 1:10 TW barrel. Jim paid for the shipping both ways and had my "new" barrel fitted and returned in 2 weeks. In my book that can't be beat!
That's what you call customer service right there.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and recomendations! keep them coming.

This project probably wont start until this fall but I wanted to look and research my options.

Im thinking of doing exactly what you are talking about but in 338 lapua improved if hart has the reamer. All the machine work, barrel and the extra $180 for the spiral fluting puts it at $880+the price of the rifle. Thats a ready to shoot custom rifle for $2000. Cant beat that.

Im thinking of doing exactly what you are talking about but in 338 lapua improved if hart has the reamer. All the machine work, barrel and the extra $180 for the spiral fluting puts it at $880+the price of the rifle. Thats a ready to shoot custom rifle for $2000. Cant beat that.

My thoughts exactly! My only hang up is, it says on their website that they install vais brakes. Im not too interested in being covered in dust everytime I trip the trigger

I would use a directional brake. I shot a 7 STW with a Vias brake and had dirt in my contacts every shot. I have a CSR 4 port mag muscle on my 338 Lapua and love it.

you stole my idea. but i have also looked into a couple different barrel makers. Like bartlein i sent them an email about the total price waiting to hear back from them. in the exact same caliber as you. .338 edge

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.