Harris bipods

G

Can anyone comment from experience with bipods whether there is any advantage accuracy wise between the fixed leg standard bipod compared to the angled notch leg one?
Maybe the fixed standard bipod is more consistent and may shoot better groups than the other type?
Also what is your technique to achieve best consistency [groups] when using a bipod?
APB

it seems to me that getting a forward push type of pre-load on the bi-pod is what gives me the best accuracy.i also try not to shoot off of hard surfaces.they can make your gun bouncy and string shoots vertically.part of this is because you can't get that forward preload.the pods just keep sliding forward.i get my best accuracy by pushing forward till the crosshairs just start to come down.with the right conditions i'm convinced i can shoot more accurately with a bi-pod than with sandbags off a shooting bench.

I have the 3 of the strait tlelscopic but have heard that the notched are better - in that it is easierand quicker to adjust to different heights in the field. I certainly find trying to adjust legs to less than full height - while lying down and being inconspicuous interesting.

I'd go notched leg next time and always s class pivot adjustable

Good luck getting them over the counter here in Oz - i assume you are ordering from the US - as I did

Thanks for the input guys. I have a new XR100 in 204 which I am experimenting with bipods.
The push forward method seems logical and I have been using this myself before Dave mentioned same.
It seems to stabilise the recoil best and return very close to battery or original aimpoint prior to the actual shot.
BTW I work in a gunshop here in Oz and have both types Harris available in the various lenghts.
APB

Dave
Not familiar with the pod-loc? Can you expound please?
I have just begun shooting with these bipods and although they make the rifle somewhat unweildly when attached for carrying etc they are really accurate for long range shooting.
APB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.