Harris Bipod?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ltrbuck, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ltrbuck

ltrbuck Well-Known Member

Wanting a bipod for a heavy long range gun. Have several Harris's and like them but want a shorter (either 6"-9" or 9"-13"), swivel type. I'm seeing comments about "pod locks", can someone elighten me on them and also the notched leg types? Sounds like what I'd like to try, but can't find them on Harris's site. Part #'s or suggestions appreciated, or a sponsor that sells them!!

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msOxEwqI7VM"]Harris Series S BMR Bipod, KMW Pod-Loc, & LaRue Bipod Adapter LT130 - YouTube[/ame]

3. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

The Pod Lock is an aftermarket lock for the swivel model bipods.

Harris are definitely decent bipods but there are better, more stable platforms out there to be had for a price.

My latest was the VersaPod and while it is heavy to tote around it's well worth the money because it's steady as a rock.

I also use the Tango Down Bipod and for general purpose use find it far superior to my Harris models. The one knock on it for LR or ELR shooting is it doesn't have a locking cant mechanism like the Versapod or Harris Swivel models but you can get it very steady and consistent by just glancing at a scope level. It doesn't lock, but it isn't free floating either. There is enough resistance to keep it very steady. It's also lighter than the Versapod. If anything it may also be a bit steadier than the VP due to the wider stance at the pivot/hinges.

Given a choice I'll always go for the VP or TD BP's over the Harris or any of the other light BP's I've tried.

4. Bullet bumper

Bullet bumper Well-Known Member

An Atlas bi-pod is another option worth looking at .

5. skkeeter

skkeeter Member

I just switched from Harris to Atlas and haven't looked back!

6. RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer Well-Known Member

Atlas is awesome for loading the bipod. Also swivels and locks when needed. A little pricey, but worth it. I also bought the cleat feet and they are better on ground, rocks.

7. ltrbuck

Thanks for the info so far guys, I'll have a look at the Atlas and Versapods!

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

For prone hunting, if you go with the Harrus, I'd recommend that you go with the 9-13" length. The three extra inches makes a big difference in the field for clearing grass, as well as ergonomics for some people. At the 13" position, it allows the legs to flex for a slight load. iMHO.

9. WildRose

Before jumping too far on a bi pod I'd suggest scrolling through the last couple of months of new topics here. One of Len's advertisers has come up with a new light weight BP that looks just solid as hell and might be worth a try. There was a thread on it in this section a month or so back.

I can't remember the brand/maker or I'd just do a quick search for you. It was very impressive design.

10. ltrbuck

Anybody find the one Wildrose is referring to?

11. WildRose

Well I took some time to do a search and can't find the thread. Sorry. Maybe Len will see this thread and chime in.

12. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

I have also bought "Pod Locker" from Defensive Edge.

Products

13. WildRose