Hardness of cerrosafe Alloy?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ricka0, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ricka0

ricka0 Well-Known Member

I want to make some dummy rounds for dry firing. I was thinking of pouring Cerrosafe in the primer pocket to make my own A-Z00M snap caps for dry firing. A-ZOOM doesn't make them for my 270 WSM, 375 RUM. They don't even make them for Allen uber mags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

it will chip and flake from what i have seen -- not a good idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

just dry fire the bastage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Or if you are worried, use a fired case with the dead primer still in...

JB

3. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

bigbore,
    I too cringe when I dry fire without something under the firing pin mainly cause I don't want to have to send it off to be repaired cause then I could'nt be shooting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    jb suggested one of the things I do ,that is use a fired round, y7ou will see that the pin still makes contact with the primer , at least a couple of times more.
    Wonder if a guy could take a 270 std azoom snap cap and marry it to (the operating end) one of your fired cases.Should'nt be too hard.
    Jim

4. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

If you must have something, a primer pocket full of silicone works pretty good.

5. dcb

dcb Well-Known Member

I use o-ring the size of a primer a dab of super glue cut the rubber o ring flush with the case.
    Dave

6. LWolken

LWolken Well-Known Member

A pencil eraser will also work.

7. ricka0

ricka0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'll give these a try.

8. Sam11

Sam11 Active Member

Better still use an eraser from a pencil. I chuck the whole pencil in a drill and sand down the diameter of the erase just enough so I can work it into the primer pocket. Trim it flush and you have your snap cap.