hard upstroke...meaning omg

RemingtonShooter

Hello all,

I have just started to reload. I am using g a Redding T7 press and redding dies. I have the 300wsm set up pretty good. But on the upstroke when resizing there is a lot of resistance. On the 270, the upstroke is so hard it takes my full body weight and almost lifts the bench off the ground. I can't have anything on the bench, it will fall over. I am lubing the case with the rcbs finger wax very liberally, the down stroke is fairly easy......do I need to lube inside the neck also?

Help please.

Since the ram and lever go in opposite directions I don't know what you're calling the 'up' and 'down' stroke. If you mean you're have trouble inserting the case into the sizer you don't have enough lube on the case. Difficulty in withdrawing a case means you're about to pull the rim off the case and leave it stuck in the die.

Clean your die walls. Lube the entire case externally, very lightly around the neck and shoulder and with a good coat of lube from about mid body to the head, that's the hard part to resize. You can't put enough lube inside a case to keep it from sticking in a die but a light dab will ease extracting the expander.

Short answer yes you lube the inside of the neck.

Also you need to read you reloading manual as all the info you need is in there.

Putting a little lube on the inside of the case necks should switch your problem. When I started reloading I only loaded 22-250 shells and never had a problem, but when I switched to a 300 win mag and 270 I learned really quickly that a little lube on the inside of the necks makes the process much smoother!

RCBS sells little nylon brushes that you can put lube on and just push them in and out of the neck. You could accomplish the same thing with a pipe cleaner if you wanted.

Hello all,

I have just started to reload. I am using g a Redding T7 press and redding dies. I have the 300wsm set up pretty good. But on the upstroke when resizing there is a lot of resistance. On the 270, the upstroke is so hard it takes my full body weight and almost lifts the bench off the ground. I can't have anything on the bench, it will fall over. I am lubing the case with the rcbs finger wax very liberally, the down stroke is fairly easy......do I need to lube inside the neck also?

Help please.

The 300WSM calls for a .344" neck diameter, and will probably be around .348" loaded. Neck diameter seems excessive, but the numbers came right out of the Hornaday book.

Take a couple cases, and size them without the stem in place. See a lot of difference? I bet you do! Resistence of the upstroke is almost always from the sizing ball on the stem passing thru the neck. You must also lube the neck I.D.'s. I recommend Imperial Die Wax as it's probably the best out there. The trick with the Imperial wax is to get it on your finger tips and kinda wipe it on the case body from about a half inch below the shoulder to the tip of the neck. Then wipe your fingers accross the lip of the neck to leave a very small amount in the I.D. If the cases are still very tight on the upstroke, call your wife into help you by wiping the neck I.D.'s with powdered graphite on a cotten swap to give you a wax and graphite lube. (this way your fingers will stay clean<g>). If it's still tight, then it's time to take a serious look at the die.
gary

Hello all,

Help please.

Well, the upstroke is actually the downstroke of the ram. I'm really amazed you aren't pulling the casehead off.

I know if I applied that much pressure to reaize, I'd be pulling stuck cases and probably trashing dies, willy nilly.

Now the down stroke is really the upstroke and thats where the sizing is taking place. Sounds to me like the expander ball has an issue. There aren't bushing dies per chance?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts