Hard turning bolt.

Grey Wolf hit all of the nails on the head in his reply. Suggest that you heed his advise before you have a catastropy!

I have been using reloads in my 243 wssm for over a year now. I usually shoot 85gr sierra but I got my buddy to load me up some 55gr sierras( 44.5grs of 4895) this time. I went shooting the following day, I had one neck to split( which I figured it was due to being a hot load) But my concern is when I was chambering a round, some of the ammo made the bolt hard to turn . The brass was only on its second reload, so I dont know what could have caused it. Any ideas would be helpful.

How good of a friend is this ? what do you know of his reloading talents ?
Just asking.
Hot load? well how hot ? Did they extract hard or only go in hard ?
Split neck on a second reload?
Did the cases extract hard after you fired them the first time?.
You say it was the second reload--was it new brass when you loaded it for the first time?
Did you question him on how he sized the cases? f/l --neck--shoulder bump--
seating? were the bullets seated to far out? to deep in the neck?

some of the ammo made the bolt hard to turn . Why only some?
Do you have any of the ammo left ? If so I would pull a bullet and check the powder weight--also COL.
how many things would cause a hard to chamber round. ?
Case not sized enough--shoulder needs to be bumped--bullets out to far--
Brass not from your rifle and only neck sized.
I would think if the first time around were not hot loads they should have chambered in your rifle even lightly f/l sized and even just neck sized.

I went shooting the following day, I had one neck to split( which I figured it was due to being a hot load) If i didn't ask for a hot load I would have quit at that point, and started asking questions.
We all talk about consistency when hand loading--how consistent can it be when someone else is doing it for us?

Hey I don't want to be a pain in the *** here but we need to know a little more, and I am just trying to help.

GW.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.