happy happy

johnb338

fine tuning my 338 win mag build

Attachments

• 20140726_141907.jpeg
    20140726_141907.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 59
not bad at all; looks like your 338 is liking rl19 and 225's as much as mine does. It should do as well with the 225 ab and the 225 hdy if your barrel decides it likes those bullets.

Thanks guys. this project started about a year ago. Sent my action to mcr kevin cram did the work . .rem. 700 action trued, kreiger # 17 barrel, flutted, finish lenght is 27",recessed target crown, cero-kote graphite black. He really does nice work.I just put on my scope friday. Nightforce nxs 5.5 × 22 .56. Those are cutting edge bullets 225 gr. Gun seems to like them.cant wait to stretch out the range .hopefully next weekend.

WOW, that's a long COAL on your .338 Win Mag.

Congrats on a very nice rig and nice shooting.

Attachments

• 36955d1406470032-happy-happy-20140726_141907[1].jpg
    36955d1406470032-happy-happy-20140726_141907[1].jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 54
hey feenix. yep coal is long, had sent kevin a dummy round of what I wanted for length. so far so good. cant load mag. up so its a single shot. I better get real good 1 shot 1 kill.your from great falls? love it there . 85-95 every year antelope hunting in circle. have a friend that lives on 6th ave. would go to house of meat for prcessing. I think it was called shakys bar? pizza & beers. good times , good folks. {local joke was these jeters comin out to shoot goats. } :)

hey feenix. yep coal is long, had sent kevin a dummy round of what I wanted for length. so far so good. cant load mag. up so its a single shot. I better get real good 1 shot 1 kill.your from great falls? love it there . 85-95 every year antelope hunting in circle. have a friend that lives on 6th ave. would go to house of meat for prcessing. I think it was called shakys bar? pizza & beers. good times , good folks. {local joke was these jeters comin out to shoot goats. } :)

Now that explains it! There's nothing wrong with a single shot in LRH ... might have to try that with my .338 Winnie.

Yes, Jo of House of Meats always take care of me and my friends. :D

I didn't get drawn for antelope this year, unless there are doe/fawn surplus, I will either take a friend that drew or hunt something else. :cool:

Sorry but not sure of the bar.

Cheers!

My 338 is a #1 so it's a one shot rifle also... I can't run that long of an oal in her though.... I'm just shy of 3.4"

The Cutting Edge bullets will typically load to very long OAL's vs a standard cup and core bullet. Because of their bore rider design, nothing ahead of the driving band touches the rifling. I have noted up to .300"+ difference in OAL to the rifling between CE bullets and a standard bullet of the same weight. Most of the long range oriented bullets that Cutting Edge makes are designed for single feed.

The beauty of it is, using the CE bullets doesn't require a given rifle to be turned into a specialized setup by cutting a long custom throat. The CE's work well from a standard chamber, still allowing optimal velocity and accuracy with conventional bullets. The CE's biggest downside is that they are expensive. Being able to use cheaper bullets for practice without loss of accuracy is a big plus.

I suppose I took the long way around to tell you that you will likely find your OAL limitation in your #1 to be significantly longer with a Cutting Edge MTH or Lazer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.