Hammer spring issues

craigf

I just built my first AR. 80% lower and a Rguns upper with a heavy bull twist 20" barrel. I took it out 3 weeks ago and it fired flawlessly, and very happy with the accuracy. When I was cleaning it I noticed the hammer spring was in backwards, so i spun it around and installed it correctly. Yesterday at the range it wouldn't cycle, the bolt carrier in my opinion was not going all the way back, too much spring tension on the hammer. Spun the hammer spring back around to the incorrect position, and the gun fires flawlessly.

Question;
is there a correct way to take tension out of the spring so I can spin it back around to the correct position. CMMG trigger group.

Thanks, Craig

I'm trying to visualize how you could get the hammer spring to function on the CMMG trigger group if it is in backwards. If it were in backwards, it seems to me, the spring would reverse its function from a compression to extension coil which I would expect to soften it's force on the hammer.
Do you have any images you can share?

I hope it attaches

Attachments

• AR15-HammerSpringInstall.jpg
    AR15-HammerSpringInstall.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 115
Both ways throw the hammer forward. The incorrect way takes less energy when it is struck by the carrier, to engage the disconnect.

I believe I have figured out my error. By installing it backwards, I straitened the spring out (took the factory bend out). I just bent it back to the shape it came originally and presto, cycles like a charm. Simple answer to my question, bend it back dip-****. Thanks for getting me thinking again fearnowind.

Looks like it's a good day for both of us. Your images clearly reveal how the spring's coil/recoil function is reversed and softened when the spring goes in backwards. That fact, combined with the over extension of the coils when it cycles while being in backwards, makes for undesirable performance.
I am pleased to learn that you solved the problem independently. That's another important step in becoming intimate with your firearm and how it works.
Congratulations .............
You might be surprised at the number of shooters who enjoy shooting the Remington 700 learn the reason for the temporary "short" pins that experienced shooters often use when removing the trigger housing assembly. Without the short pins, that tiny little sear spring often ends up in the next county - that's a sure way to find an unwelcome delay in the shooting calendar.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.