Hammer Hunters

Yep, that's too slow, It should have shed all the petals
I know that's the design, to shed the petals. But, I would still consider this successful and very lethal. I mean, look at partitions/accubonds arguably one of the most successful hunting bullets in history. They have expansion about equal to this, or maybe less!

I know that's not the point of the hammers, but it is a comparable expansion, and maybe even a plus. Figuring it like this, when all the petals shed it's losing a bit of weight. Which is losing mass to continue penetration. But, When the petals stay attached (low velocity/long range impacts) it retains the mass to give you the deep penetration/pass through shots that so many people love for tracking.

They remind me of the Lehigh defense 194 ME. the way this acted at low velocity. Which in my limited experience is a serious deadly bullet. I had a complete pass through on a 200+ lb white tail at around 40 yards, insane blood trail, and a very dead deer. So, idk how they (hammers) handle the transonic transition, but they might be a very lethal bullet much farther than many people would consider. (Also this is not an opening about everyone's OPINION for hunting with slow/subsonic ammo)..

Btw BEAN, I'm not arguing my friend, just pointing out my opinion and very little experience.😃

To each their own but if that's what your looking for shoot a Barnes bullet, IMO that's a bullet failure and reinforces the 1800fps minimum
Possibly an underpowered cartridge casing for the bullet used and the distance attempted. Guess you could call it a good empirical attempt and view; however, the results were less than underwhelming. The 300WM certainly worked the way it was supposed to for the bullet and the distance.

Possibly an underpowered cartridge casing for the bullet used and the distance attempted. Guess you could call it a good empirical attempt and view; however, the results were less than underwhelming. The 300WM certainly worked the way it was supposed to for the bullet and the distance.
I guess I failed to explain my purpose for shooting that bullet in .300 blackout at that speed..

I loaded and shot it at that velocity to replicate a 1400 yard impact velocity at 8k' density altitude from my .300 WM.. which is an approximation of what I'd be using this rifle/bullet combo for. Elk, in the Colorado mountains, I hunt around 10k' elevation. Now, there's no way I'd even make an attempt at that distance. But more curious to see how the bullet reacted at said velocity.

There are better bullets for the blackout than the 196 gr hammer!!

It's not static. It's actually very fluid but it is a reference we use to calculate the bullets ability to overcome drag. I will assume that none of us need a physics lesson. We all know what it means

2 bullets, same relative dimensions:
light bullets yield to drag faster and exponentially. As they slow down all that other unimportant stuff that kills stuff doesn't work anymore. All of that stuff we should ignore allows the wind to take advantage of our projectile and the bullet doesn't go where it was intended. It becomes hard to predict.

I'm not implying that the folks who have replied to my questions don't KNOW that these bullets are not intended for, let's just call it long range hunting (relative term, not well defined, but you know what it means).

I would have appreciated answers that were less hollow fluff. Hammers have a place and frankly it's a big segment of hunting. They're a MPBR style bullet. They will not defy the wind as well as heavier, more aerodynamic projectiles will. Their schtick is hyper-velocity, but that hyper-velocity doesn't last in light bullets or bullets that lack the ability to overcome drag, they are NoT intended for long range.

I was uneducated about these and was reading pages and volumes of "these are the most amazing bullets in the history of ever", so I was asking what about... I was asking to learn. In spite of some of the responses, I learned the answers to what I was asking. I had made early assumptions.

I also ordered a few in .264 and .284 to shoot at wild hogs within 200-300 yds at the ranch. I'm not a Hammer hater, I wanna like em for what they are and for what they're intended for. Steve's reputation for stellar customer service is noted wherever Hammer is mentioned; Which made me more interested in buying some.
supporter responses don't help Hammer. Frankly it probably hurts when the takeaway is - they're made from real lightning bolts. "Don't think just load em up and let em fly, you're science who-ha is proof your late to the party". Several responses I got were... contextually that. I understand that context is often lost in text, so I'll call it missed messaging.

I do think that the PDR is something that bullet manufacturers should look at. It's innovative.

It's not static. It's actually very fluid but it is a reference we use to calculate the bullets ability to overcome drag. I will assume that none of us need a physics lesson. We all know what it means

2 bullets, same relative dimensions:
light bullets yield to drag faster and exponentially. As they slow down all that other unimportant stuff that kills stuff doesn't work anymore. All of that stuff we should ignore allows the wind to take advantage of our projectile and the bullet doesn't go where it was intended. It becomes hard to predict.

I'm not implying that the folks who have replied to my questions don't KNOW that these bullets are not intended for, let's just call it long range hunting (relative term, not well defined, but you know what it means).

I would have appreciated answers that were less hollow fluff. Hammers have a place and frankly it's a big segment of hunting. They're a MPBR style bullet. They will not defy the wind as well as heavier, more aerodynamic projectiles will. Their schtick is hyper-velocity, but that hyper-velocity doesn't last in light bullets or bullets that lack the ability to overcome drag, they are NoT intended for long range.

I was uneducated about these and was reading pages and volumes of "these are the most amazing bullets in the history of ever", so I was asking what about... I was asking to learn. In spite of some of the responses, I learned the answers to what I was asking. I had made early assumptions.

I also ordered a few in .264 and .284 to shoot at wild hogs within 200-300 yds at the ranch. I'm not a Hammer hater, I wanna like em for what they are and for what they're intended for. Steve's reputation for stellar customer service is noted wherever Hammer is mentioned; Which made me more interested in buying some.
supporter responses don't help Hammer. Frankly it probably hurts when the takeaway is - they're made from real lightning bolts. "Don't think just load em up and let em fly, you're science who-ha is proof your late to the party". Several responses I got were... contextually that. I understand that context is often lost in text, so I'll call it missed messaging.

I do think that the PDR is something that bullet manufacturers should look at. It's innovative.
You'll never figure It out Neighbor, I'm here to help everybody and I'm not an Fan Boy, We have tested these bullets extensively on two continents and have shot tons ( No Exaggeration) of animals from rabbits to water buffalo and have another test in process as we speak, I do not work for Hammer nor do I make any profit from them, This was done for folks like you, The "Nay Sayers" if you will so we have concrete test results, I understand that bit's hard to wrap your head around but everything that I have told you is 100% correct, I'm trying to save you a lot of time and money and to get the most out of your bullets, Back to you

You'll never figure It out Neighbor, I'm here to help everybody and I'm not an Fan Boy, We have tested these bullets extensively on two continents and have shot tons ( No Exaggeration) of animals from rabbits to water buffalo and have another test in process as we speak, I do not work for Hammer nor do I make any profit from them, This was done for folks like you, The "Nay Sayers" if you will so we have concrete test results, I understand that bit's hard to wrap your head around but everything that I have told you is 100% correct, I'm trying to save you a lot of time and money and to get the most out of your bullets, Back to you
I figured it out, neighbor. Thanks for your welcoming insight and wisdom

Welp. I'm going to use the 178AH to murder Bambi's dad under a feeder come December. Hopefully. But if I get bored enough before then I might shoot them all and be stuck using a boring 200gn Partition.

Oh, the horrors. I'm pretty sure the BC of a Partition is somewhere between "brick dropped from tall building" and "brick thrown lightly away from tall building". Either way, God willing and the crick don't rise the freezer will be filled for the umpteenth consecutive season.

If Lapua pulls their stuff together and gets me brass before then, I can guarantee I won't have an AH's left.

Welp. I'm going to use the 178AH to murder Bambi's dad under a feeder come December. Hopefully. But if I get bored enough before then I might shoot them all and be stuck using a boring 200gn Partition.

Oh, the horrors. I'm pretty sure the BC of a Partition is somewhere between "brick dropped from tall building" and "brick thrown lightly away from tall building". Either way, God willing and the crick don't rise the freezer will be filled for the umpteenth consecutive season.

If Lapua pulls their stuff together and gets me brass before then, I can guarantee I won't have an AH's left.
I'm Dead
Baby laghing.gif