Half Mile Marmots

COBrad

Two years ago I shot a number of marmots between 600 and 749 yards with a Cooper Custom Classic .270. This pretty much maxed out the elevation in the scope, and my ability to score consistent hits with this rifle.
Last winter I had Scott Harold of Quarter Minute Magnums build one of his long range hunting rifles in 7 rem mag, and today I skipped work for the first day of Colorado's marmot season.
My goal was to break the half mile mark. We have a limit of 3, and I took my 3 at 920, 1108, and 1156 yards. I was shooting at close to 12000' elevation along the continental divide.
The G7 range finder was spot on with ballistic solutions, and thanks Scott for building a wicked accurate rifle.
Next goal, 1200 yards.

Attachments

• 1108 yards.jpg
    1108 yards.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 48
Two years ago I shot a number of marmots between 600 and 749 yards with a Cooper Custom Classic .270. This pretty much maxed out the elevation in the scope, and my ability to score consistent hits with this rifle.
Last winter I had Scott Harold of Quarter Minute Magnums build one of his long range hunting rifles in 7 rem mag, and today I skipped work for the first day of Colorado's marmot season.
My goal was to break the half mile mark. We have a limit of 3, and I took my 3 at 920, 1108, and 1156 yards. I was shooting at close to 12000' elevation along the continental divide.
The G7 range finder was spot on with ballistic solutions, and thanks Scott for building a wicked accurate rifle.
Next goal, 1200 yards.
That's some very impressive shooting! Is it 3 per day?

Nicely done my friend. That's some fine shooting. It's one thing for the rifle to be capable. It's another thing entirely for the shooter to be!

Do you tote the rifle on the same cart as your oxygen? I'm not sure I could control my breathing enough at 12,000 elevation any more! Congratulations, I like seeing your pictures a very cool hunt.

Thanks guys, I enjoy long range whistle pig hunting at least as much as I enjoy chasing elk anymore.
Weather conditions were a 1.5-5 mph cross wind. It was pretty steady in direction and gusts, if we can call them that, were few. Most shots were with .5-.75 moa windage.
Glass is a Schmidt Bender 4-16 PMII with Hollands ART reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.