Hair Brained Idea?????

jrw1976

Ok guys, here is my idea I want to make myself an all seasons tractor gun out of my savage 110 that is already chambered in 7mm rem mag. I am thinking of having a barrel made in a varmint contour and chambered in 6.5mm rem mag. The reason I chose this caliber is because since it is a magnum diameter case I can just swap barrels at my whim. I can also load the 6.5 at what ever length I want because of the long action and it is not as powder hungry as my current tractor gun the 7mm. I know what your thinking it is ballistically close to the .270 but I already have two of those and I need a 6.5mm. I think this plan could work out well for me, I can swap to which ever caliber I choose depending on my mood and I feel economically I could shoot it more compared to the 7mm. Well guys let me have it what do you think.

Thank you, JRW

Get a 6.5-300 wsm from pac-nor and screw it in. You will be happy. I have got to do another since I let a guy talk me out of the one I had. Deer/antelope at 1000 yards were trivial. It shoots very accurate with the 130 scirroco .572, 130 berger and 140 berger .612 at 3100 fps.

The 6.5-300wsm kind of defeats my purpose of wanting to cut back on my powder usage. I am more than happy with the 3000 fps and below range it will be a tractor gun after all, to get those wary dogs that just arent curious enough to get close to the tractor. I also plan on this gun to be my practice rig so I can hone my skills with out spending anymore money than I have too.

Thanks, JRW

That's probably as fast a change over as you could do, for dogs you could load some on the light fast end then have a LR practice load with some LR friendly fodder. If you don't munch down the barrel nut you can take a wrench and cut the top out of it so you can leave the scope and base on, if they get in the way, then all you have to do is take of the stock, should be like a five min swap! Seems to fit your objectives!

Bigngreen, thats exactly what I am going for. Except I was planning on using either 140 grain berger or amax. I like your idea of just snugging the nut and trimming the wrench. That will make it an even slicker swap. I hunt coyotes with the same loads I hunt deer with so I dont have to worry about ballistic changes and it is just that much more practice for deer or elk season where accuracy really matters. Im not a fur saver but if you can keep the bullets either in front or right behind the should the exit hole is minimal. At least I have found this to be true my 7mmrm thowing 162 amax's.

Thanks, JRW

That is what us farmers do just back and forth over and over, and when we get bored with that we will just hook up to a different implement and do it all again. LOL:D

What are you going to be shooting??? If it`s small, coyote size and down you might consider a 20 BR with a fast twist for the 50 gr. Bergers. Alot less powder and a high BC bullet that should reach nearly as far as the 7 mag. Or is that to hair brained????

I think your idea is both sound and hair brained at the same time- I believe that makes you an eccentric genius. The 6.5RM in a long magnum action gives optimum power without excessive powder usage or finnicky pressures, just what you are after. Thing is, you could achieve the same results with a .270. However, as a hunter and shooter, it is your responsibility to support the industry and this industry is based on us re-inventing the wheel over and over again. I do it all the time.

But seriously. The 6.5 can do one thing the other calibres can't which is make use of the 140 grain Amax. Its not just about BC. Once you start using it on appropriate sized game, you'll see what I mean. Its a good light game bullet and there is not a lot else out there that can produce the same type of wounding in such a consistent manner at that recoil level across a wide variety of ranges.

That is what us farmers do just back and forth over and over, and when we get bored with that we will just hook up to a different implement and do it all again. LOL:D

That sums it up pretty well. Do you really want to "trade up" to a wildcat cartidge with shorter barrel life, less downrange energy and shorter supersonic range? I'd just keep the 7mm Rem Mag.

I want a 6.5mm for one, and it is no more a barrel burner than the 7mmrm. In fact the 6.5mm rem mag has nearly the exact same ballistics as the 6.5mmx284 and the 6.5mmrm has a mag head which makes the swap that much easier for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.