Had shoulder surgery ...

A lot of people call any shoulder surgery, a rotator cuff surgery. Looks like you had the real thing. I also had, 'real' rotator, torn bicep and spurs. I thought no problem deer and elk season are still 3 months away. Ha, at 3 months I wasn't even thinking about holding a rifle. Much less shooting one. Take your time and heal up properly. I was finally allowed to shoot a light rifle after 5 months. I did everything the doctor and therapist said and today it's just an old memory. Good Luck

BTW. My first line are my doctor's words.

In 2009 I had to have a partial kidney removal. I was 59 years old then. Three small holes and a slit for the surgeons hand. That was in June. I had already drawn a first season either sex elk public land tag for Colorado. The young guys in the group talked me into going by saying they would do everything heavy for me. Well, the first evening I cow called a 5x5 in, shot him, called for help and true to their words all I had to carry was the horns. It was my turn to be lucky. Last year with my shoulder really bothering me before this years surgery I shot a 6x6 bull and the youngsters came through again and hauled out the meat. If I can shoot my rifle by September I'll be going back for first season bull elk in October. Take youngsters hunting and introduce others to the sport. It will pay off when you get older.

In 2009 I had to have a partial kidney removal. I was 59 years old then. Three small holes and a slit for the surgeons hand. That was in June. I had already drawn a first season either sex elk public land tag for Colorado. The young guys in the group talked me into going by saying they would do everything heavy for me. Well, the first evening I cow called a 5x5 in, shot him, called for help and true to their words all I had to carry was the horns. It was my turn to be lucky. Last year with my shoulder really bothering me before this years surgery I shot a 6x6 bull and the youngsters came through again and hauled out the meat. If I can shoot my rifle by September I'll be going back for first season bull elk in October. Take youngsters hunting and introduce others to the sport. It will pay off when you get older.

Amen to that! My sons are out of the house already but I take young airmen from my squadron afield every opportunity I get to have them enjoy what the Big Sky Country has to offer.

Candidly, if it wasn't for the 2 guys I hunt with, I'd be in a body bag long ago. I'm the old fart by a long shot and they both make sure that 'dad' don't get in over his head. Both are career hunters so I'm learning from what I consider is the best......

My only regret is I didn't get into this 20 years ago. 5 years ago, I didn't even own a gun of any type. Now, I have a pile.

I have this agreement with the wife.... She buys a ring, I buy a gun. She buys an antique (she's into West lake Furniture), I buy a gun. She gets a necklace, I get a gun and so on. It's worked so far.....:D

Fingers crossed....

I had my post op follow up today. The staples were taken out and my Doc said I'm healing extremely well. I did above and beyond the post PT exercises they gave me.

I will be undergoing PT twice a week for 4 weeks as soon as my referral and appointments are squared away.

This is a picture of the "torture chair" I used for the first month of my rehab after shoulder surgery. I hope i never have to use one of these ever again.

Attachments

• _DSC0211.jpg
    _DSC0211.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 28
Re: Had shoulder surgery ... UPDATES !!!

I was supposed to have 20 sessions of physical therapy but after 2 sessions, my physical therapist does not think I need the rest of the therapy based on the strength test and range of motion test.

My orthopedic surgeon also cleared me for the bow season. :D

I lowered the poundage on my bow to 50 lbs and pulled it comfortably. I'll slowly work my way up to 62 lbs by September. :)

I guess my pre-PT exercises worked out for the best.

Cheers!

Ed

Congrats FEENIX, that's great news!
How's that 270 AI commin along?

Thanks! Haven't had a chance to work on it much but it's slowly coming along. Because I went nut-less on a Savage action and the barrel OD is 1.25" vs 1.06" I will have to open the stock up a bit for clearance.

Will keep you posted on any progress. Cheers!

Last edited:
Great news FEENIX. Already shooting a bow. WOW After surgery on 5-4, 33 PT sessions and seeing the Doc on 8-2 I'm at 80% strength and mobility with some pain. Doc says I'm where I should be and to be patient, full recovery may take 9-12 months. I guess I don't have patience. Old bones heal slowly. I'm working my way up through the light rifles now and expect to be shooting magnums by the end of the month. Elk season for me is in 10 weeks.

Great news FEENIX. Already shooting a bow. WOW After surgery on 5-4, 33 PT sessions and seeing the Doc on 8-2 I'm at 80% strength and mobility with some pain. Doc says I'm where I should be and to be patient, full recovery may take 9-12 months. I guess I don't have patience. Old bones heal slowly. I'm working my way up through the light rifles now and expect to be shooting magnums by the end of the month. Elk season for me is in 10 weeks.

Perhaps yours is worst than mine. My doc says ~12 weeks of recovery time if I do the prescribed PT. I did self-initiated PT exercises at home twice a day before my PT appointment and pushed it further everyday as I increased the range of motion and tolerated the pain - iced it after exercises ... the pain eventually went away.

One thing I need to work on is the strength to push, i.e., at this time I can only do incline press exercises (no problem on pull downs) with 35 lbs of weight.

Good luck and have a speedy recovery!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.