H870 or H1000 Loads for 65x284 ?

DLFant

I need to work up a load for a savage 111 in 65x284 using Berger 130 or 140s. I have seen and herd a lot of guys using retumbo powder with good success. I However have a bunch of H870 and a little H 1000 on hand. According to burn rate charts the 870 is right next to the retumbo powder. I cannot find any data using it in the 65x284. does anyone out there have any leads or ideas?

My understanding is that H 870 is no longr made. If you have enough to wear out a tube I would try it. What I hate is having to re-develope a load because one compnent or another is not available anymore.

That would be especialy true with a 6.5-284, which is moderately hard on tubes.

What else do u guys suggest ? H4831? I have several others third were closest to burn rate of retumbo

I would think that H1000 or Retumbo would be too slow. Most benchrest shooters that I know either use H4350 or H4831SC. I believe there is a reason they use these powders.

In my experience with a few 6.5x284's, including the Savage LRH, is that H4831sc and Retumbo, using 140gr bullets will produce top accuracy, low ES, and excellent temperature stability. Using 24"+ barrels both powders will generate velocities in the 2900-3000+ FPS range with Retumbo having a 50-75FPS advantage over H4831sc, a slightly faster burning powder. Either standard or magnum primers will work with Retumbo powder but I have found ES and accuracy can be better with standard primers at the cost of 25-50 FPS. Retumbo is not too slow burning for the 6.5x284 case design in a 24/26" barrel, and generates lower pressures than H4831sc. H4831sc seems to produce best results with standard primers. I have tried H1000 but found velocity, ES, and pressures sub par compared to Retumbo and H4831sc.

H-1000 and H-870 are to slow in my opinion for the 6.5-284 with even the heaviest bullet weights available.

RL19, RL22, H4831 would be the first three I would try in no particular order. I know the RL powders get a lot of bad press about not being as stable over temp changes as the Hodgdon powders and this is true to some degree but the difference in all reality is not that great in most situations.

These three powders are much better suited for this class of chambering.

I've shot somewhere short of 1000 rounds of 6.5x284 loads so take this with a grain of salt.

IMHO, if you're running loads on a short action or a long action, you can't safely use anywhere near a full case of H4350 or a full case of H4831SC which are indeed arguably the two most popular powders used in this case. Seating bullets where the boat tail/bearing surface junction meets the neck/shoulder junction of the case you can fit 59 grains of retumbo in the case with only very minor compression. 59 grains fill it right up to just about the bottom of the neck. Using 140s I've seen well over 3100 foot sec with that combo. And yes it is hot. Is retumbo too slow for the 6.5x284? IMHO, no. IF you use a full case of it.

As far as H1000, you can use 55-56 grains under the 140s seated long without major pressure signs. There is zero compression with these charges and are pretty much max loads. 3000 foot sec plus or minus is the norm. At least with a custom tube and snug chambers. This is also on the warm side but not hot. Too slow? IMHO, no.

I've had the best luck in the accuracy department with H4831SC. That said, max loads leave a lot of air in the case. Max loads for me have been 51.5 grains in the past at 2950 foot sec and were quite warm. IMHO, this powder is acceptable but on the fast side. My max loads for H4350 was 47.0 at 2950. This powder is way too fast for a 60 grain case but it still works ok.

In factory offerings or short action loads, H1000 and retumbo may be a bit slow but for customs loaded for long actions, they're just about right.

I ran R22 and 140s over the chrony with loads that were below zero against loads over 100 degrees and the velocity spread was not bad. I don't remember off the top of my head but it was surprisingly low. This was a top end load too.

I have 6.5x284 and my first choice is H4831SC due to low ES. (giving you more accurate).
Other powders also work: IMR4350, R19

The load is only for 140gr Berger or 142 SMK

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts