H4831sc for 25-06

ViperXXX5

Everything I have read regarding the 115gr Berger VLD's shows 54.3 to 54.5 gr. of H4831sc a MAX load. Has anyone out there loaded more with good results? I shot a SUB MOA with 54.5gr and BR2 primers today, with my Marlin XL7. Very happy with the grouping, but was hoping for more muzzle velocity. It was shooting a avg. of about 2976fps. Would a different primer get me more velocity?

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 160
You did not say how long your barrel is. If it is 24" and you are using 54.5 grs H4831SC you have arrived at about your max velocity. I doubt that you can get much more of that powder in the case. You may get a little more velocity with H1000 or Retumbo or RL22 but I doubt it will be much more than 100 fps over what you are already getting. I doubt different primers will give you any significant velocity increase. For me I would just stick with what you have because it looks very accurate and 100 fps more velocity is not going to make much difference. I have killed more deer with a 25-06 than hoof and mouth disease. It really does not matter which bullet you use from 100 gr up through 120 gr they all kill deer very effectively. Most of the time they drop in their tracks.

Thanks RT2506, It's only a 22" barrel. But after some more research, this is load I'm going to be shooting for a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts