H4831 v H4350 in 338WM and 300WSM

KY Gun Geek

Newbie to this board, and this sport (long range big game stuff). Found you tonight and you guys seem to be the perfect community for my questions...

Working on loads for hunting boomers (thin barrels, wind, rain, snow, changing temperatures).

I'm a fan of the Hodgdon Extreme powders (lots of 223 & 308 rounds with 4895 and Varget) - 4831 and 4350 seem to give the best velocity (and almost the same) in both cartridges.

There are some theoretical reasons to pick one over the other, but I'm not very experienced with these calibers, so I'd like some advice about what actually matters in these shoulder cannons.

However, 4831 seems to take about 5 -7% more powder and requires compressed loads (which makes me lean toward 4350) More powder usually means more recoil (though there may be so much of that a little more won't matter
rolleyes.gif
).

I will have a brake on both guns, and my understanding is that more, slower powder makes brakes work better (more gas pressure at the brake makes it function better - true on my 22-250) - making me lean to the 4831.

FWIW, I'll be shooting 225 or 250 Accubonds in the 338, and maybe 200's in the 300 WSM. Target is Elk, maybe sheep.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance for your help?

Been using H4350 in my 300WSM and has given me excellent results and have never had a reason to change powders. I have used it in everything from 145gr. FMJ to 208 amax. Just purchased my first pound of H4831 sc fo1 210 berger and will post when i test it. But i would say if you are to be using 200 gr. bullets or larger go with the 4831

I've had great luck with both powders in a 300 WSM. I went with H4831SCjust because I had the most of that on hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.