h4350 vs imr4350

trb0

My 6.5/.284 likes 48 grains of H4350 with a 139 grain lapua, however I just ran out of H4350, but I have 2 cans of imr4350.Does anyone have experience with the 6.5 and imr4350?Just looking for a short term fix until I get some more h4350.If it is feasible to swap powders someone let me know please. Thanks trb0

IMR 4350 is slightly faster than H4350. Also, it is temperature sensitive so will shoot slower in cold weather. Check your pressures, but load should be a grain or two less according to Quickload. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Things have been changing. H4350 used to be a slower powder than I4350. Depending on the lots I would wager that if you bought later powder lots of both the H4350 will actually be hotter than I4350. It is for me and several sets of load data I've seen lately show the same.
Considering that lots are supposed to vary by 5% the sky is the limit for what you are asking. The same powder charge could give you the same, slightly more, or slightly less speed and pressure. Only you can find out for yourself. BTW...some people that shoot alot of long range seem to think that IMR is the more accurate powder of the two....again probably pure "theory".
I'm not trying to give you a runaround....I'm just saying that I'd give the "I" a try.

Thanks guys.I loaded the same load except changed to imr 4350 and shot 15 rounds at 700 yards, the extreme spread was 7 inches with 13 shots clustered inside 5 inches. The group was about 2-3 inches lower than the h4350 yesterday but that could have been weather conditions.Thanks trb0

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts