H4350 Temp. Data

Well guys I appreciate all your info. After this weekend I came to realize that Hodgdon is full of it with the claims on H4350. Put four rounds in the freezer. Double wrapped in freezer bags. Freezer was set to 32 degrees. Left for 6 hours. Took them out after we were done shooting. Had chrono set up etc. They were shot within a minute of leaving the freezer. Had an average of 226 fps loss.

But the PRIMERS were also frozen. So which caused a greater part of the discrepancy?

I never adopted a reason to believe Hodgdon's claims. Afterall, they have yet to provide an actual basis for any of them. But I do like Hodgdon powders.
I really believe you'd have to go warmer(than ambient) -with the powder only, and that this would have to be loaded locally. Otherwise you affect more than just powder.
If you went cooler with locally loaded powder, dewpoint condensation would have to be eliminated.

Mikecr, But if your loading for a hunting situation, wouldnt the primers be frozen? Everything else is at that temperature. Powder, brass e.t.c. I know how we tested is not an exact science but its the only we way we knew and for it to have that much fps loss is awful. We are hunting in December / Southeast Kansas which will be a hell of a lot colder than 32. So do you know of a better way to test it? Thanks

Before you imply evidence that Hodgdon's claims are false, you first have to isolate their powder in your test. Otherwise anyone less inclined to believe you would just point to the frozen primer as the cause.
I told you TWICE, in this thread, how to test it

Like I said, I'm not a believer either way.
And part of the reason is because 'meticulously prepared ammunition' at different temps is NOT a specific test of powder alone.

I know velocity rises with temps. Everybody knows this.
But I don't generalize it to mean whatever I want it to mean.

Wow. If you are getting that as ES for any 1 temperature, regardless of change, that is pretty darn good.

My 6.5WSSM was not as temp stable while using H4350.
But I couldn't say it was due to the powder itself, as I did not test it specifically.

A liitle more details.

59 grs. H4350
CCI BR2 primers
Lapua 30-06 brass necked up then fire formed
Barnes 225 gr TTSX HbN coated ( I coat the inside of the barrel also )
Oehler 35 chrono approximately 10' from muzzle. I don't measure, I just step it off.
Temp 90's 2610 fps average ES 22 fps
Temp 30's 2593 fps average ES 19 fps

So, if you look at total ES between the two it is higher than the 15 fps I posted earlier. The 15 fps was the difference in the averages.

Rifle Info ( I built this myself )
VZ24 / Mauser 98 action, reciever face squared, reciever threads chased, bolt face squared, lugs lapped, bolt raceways lightly polished, David Tubb firing pin, Timney featherweight deluxe trigger.
Shilen #4 1-10 twist Select Match SS barrel.
High Tech Specialties fiberglass stock w/ pachmayr triple mag recoil pad.
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-11 duplex reticle in PRW rings and bases.

This rifle is really good to about 600 yards then it really starts dropping.

I have had really good results with the "H" Extreme powders. But that being said I have had the same kind of results with US869, IMR8208, and IMR4350 is good in my 7 mag w/ 120 gr. bullets. I have heard good things about ramshot powder and I will be testing some of those that fill the gap where the extreme powders did not shoot well enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.