H4350 and still no success

Hi........................your right about the powder speed . I bought two lbs of RL 25 the other day becasue I thought I might try it or trade for something later.

I could not find any rloading info for RL 25 Does anyone have any sugjections on where I might start using the 90gr bullet.

Greg

i had the same issue with a 243ai and 4350, i had some H 414 and tried that with a 85 gr sierra game king bingo, 1/2 moa and it seems to like H414 for alot of bullets. mine is a savage, 243 ai with a 26" benchmark barrel 1-8 twist .750 at the muzzle. Stockade thumbhole stock and a Ziess 4.5 x 14 with a z800 plex. Kevin rayhill did the smith work, when i got it the throat was to short so i sent it back and he lengthed it about .05 longer and now the bullets sit where they are supposed to. the base of the bullet at the neck. still playing around with loads like nosler 90, sierra 85 and nosler 80 bt varmits. i have some 4831sc that im going to try any thoughs on combinations im thinking 95SMK.

Whats the name and phone # of your smith and where is he located.

my .243AI has been a huge dissapointment.............I have tried RL19 H4350 H4831 with 95gr bergers and 90gr ballistic tips..............1x9 and NO bullet combination will shot under 1.000 consistently..............I had one load that went .545 then the next four shot group went 1.546 then .978 then back to 1.204
I would like to talk to your smith and see if he has any thoughts on this........

Greg

Greg, just call Jim at NSS and get a 1:8 Shilen already ! If you carry on what you are doing you will spend more on load development... Should be around $340. A 1:8 barrel will do everything you expect it to do.

Kevin Rayhill, www.stockadegunstocks.com. he loves to talk. believes in full length resize everytime. the best thing I found is to check the runout of the bullet when its loaded. I shot some 95 gr sierra matchkings and they like to jump about .05. I would check your reloaded shells for good seat depth. most of the bullets I have shot have liked to be within .005 of the rifling. Bergers and SMK like to jump.

Thanks for the info I already email him

I will be trying 90gr Ballilstic tips 48.0gr Rl 19 seated .005 off and see what happens .............if no luck im sending in my V3 to Leupold and have it checked out ............................we will see.

Greg

Success, I talked with Paul at the Sierra Bullet hot line..........................I told him of my frustrations. When I told him about the throut on my rifle he said somthing that I had never heard of . He said that i some cases the throut is .004-.005 in diameter greater than the bullet diameter and thus will not shoot boat-tail bullets .................He told me to try flat based ones. I bought some Sierra 100gr Pro Hunters and it made a really huge difference .......................Im going to the range to test this again ...........
I was very much encouraged.

Greg

If thats the case then it was a bad smith job. Might be worth while to get the barrel set back and the chamber and throat re-cut. Might cost you 1" of barrel length.

If it contiunes to shoot the way it did saturday I will be happy with those results.......Not sure what kind of barrel life it will have but by the end of this year I might have 600 rounds through it.......................I might guess and say that would be half way to the end.................I have never had a rifle that shot under .6 I had three groups that went .5 With the exception of Marmonts and JackRabbits I dont intend on shooting it past 400 yards on big game. I know for sure that I will draw my cow elk tag and Black Bear tag, antelope and Mule Deer is a strong possibility....................
Most guys will tell me that the .243 is not good enough for Cow Elk, but after 15 years and 15 Deer with a patched roundball muzzle loader one thing I did learn was that bullet placement is everything, and no cow elk will walk to far from a well placed .243 bullet as long as your using a well constructed bullet in the first place.lightbulb

6XC any experiacne?

Does anyone hvae any experiance with the 6XC I saw it in the Berger Manual and its a very impressive Cartridge. Pretty Much does what the .243 AI will with less powder.

If I had to do it over that would work better than the .243 AI No fireforming.
I dont think I would ever do a Ackley again, unless there was pre-formed brass.................

G

Re: 6XC any experiacne?

Does anyone hvae any experiance with the 6XC I saw it in the Berger Manual and its a very impressive Cartridge. Pretty Much does what the .243 AI will with less powder.

G

The 6xc is a cool little cartridge. Sharing several case dimensions as the 22-250 it is NO 243ai. Not enough capacity to even give it a run for its money but, it is a dandy little round that is well noted for it's accuracy.

Will the barrel last longer? Yup. Is it more efficient? Yup. Which is where the low powder charge vs higher accuracy come from but it just doesn't have the raw horsepower of the Ackley.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.