H1000 or Retumbo ?? 280 ackley

after a lot of shooting with the 168vlds in my 280 AI with a 24" hart barrel i finally gave up on them.

i shoot bergers in my other 2 long range guns with awesome results, but couldn't make it come together with the 280. i switched to 162 amax and instantly starting having a lot better results.

i shoot 59.5 gr of 4831sc with the 162's 50 thousandths off the lands with great results. i also switched to fed215M's from the 210's.

if i had it to do over again i might have gone 7wsm, but i'm warming up to the 280 in the last month since I started shooting the amax's.

good luck.

I second the 7wsm. I wish I would have done that instead of the 280ai. I don't like to shoot max loads if I don't have to. I'm building a 7lrm for just that reason. I think now the 140 gr class of bullets is better suited to the 280ai. Its hard (I know some of you guys can get this) but harder than with a 7rsaum or 7wsm. Good luck!

I kinda wish I had got a 1-10 twist barrel instead of 1-9. My barrel just doesn't want to shoot the lighter bullets. I will keep playing with it from time to time. maybe I will hit on a good load.

I second the 7wsm. I wish I would have done that instead of the 280ai. I don't like to shoot max loads if I don't have to. I'm building a 7lrm for just that reason. I think now the 140 gr class of bullets is better suited to the 280ai. Its hard (I know some of you guys can get this) but harder than with a 7rsaum or 7wsm. Good luck!

Hello Midnightmalloy, I don't mean to highjack, but is the 7LRM you referring to a 7mm-375Ruger?

whats the best oal for a 284 win using a long action ? and will a 1/10 twist rate be good enough for 162 a max and 168 bergers vld i am hearing yes and no does any one know for sure

Hello Midnightmalloy, I don't mean to highjack, but is the 7LRM you referring to a 7mm-375Ruger?

Yea the gunwerks version. It will easily send the 180 vlds to 3150 and the 168 vlds to 3300 fps. I won't load it that hot but I will easily reach my goal of 3000 fps with the 180's and 3150 with the 168's. Gunwerks version has the shoulder pushed back some. They should have headstamped proprietary brass by febuary. Brass should be around $1.50 a piece so not bad. Its hornady brass so it should work fine.

Yea the gunwerks version. It will easily send the 180 vlds to 3150 and the 168 vlds to 3300 fps. I won't load it that hot but I will easily reach my goal of 3000 fps with the 180's and 3150 with the 168's. Gunwerks version has the shoulder pushed back some. They should have headstamped proprietary brass by febuary. Brass should be around $1.50 a piece so not bad. Its hornady brass so it should work fine.

Hey Midnight, they(GunWerks) put together a Stiller TAC300 action and a Broughton 5c in their 7LRM for me and I couldn't be happier. I'm easily getting 3135fps with the 180vld, and it's a quarter minute, or better, shooter all day long. You can pm me and I'll share load info.

Hey Midnight, they(GunWerks) put together a Stiller TAC300 action and a Broughton 5c in their 7LRM for me and I couldn't be happier. I'm easily getting 3135fps with the 180vld, and it's a quarter minute, or better, shooter all day long. You can pm me and I'll share load info.

Thanks a lot! I will give you a ring about load data. If I remember correctly your gun has a 26" barrel and a csr brake right? I just have had to push my 280ai too hard for my liking. I have many reasons for building the 7lrm so I hope my wants are met. Mike at gunwerks has been easy to deal with also. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot! I will give you a ring about load data. If I remember correctly your gun has a 26" barrel and a csr brake right? I just have had to push my 280ai too hard for my liking. I have many reasons for building the 7lrm so I hope my wants are met. Mike at gunwerks has been easy to deal with also. Thanks again.

Barrel is 28" + brake and I have velocities up to nearly 3200fps with the 180vld, but I wanted the Hornady brass to last for more than a couple of firings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.