H-S or McMillan

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by coues7, Dec 9, 2006.

1. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

I talked to Ilene at Mc Millan about a stock for my SPS Rem. 700 in 300 Win Mag.....I explained to her my needs and she proceeded to tell me that I probably already have a McMillan stock on my rifle and that I would just be paying for the same thing if I bought another?????

I then called H-S Precision and talked to Dan.....he was very helpful and literally sold me a stock.

Are both the stocks great quality? The H-S stocks are $100+ cheaper.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

everything I have heard says that mcmillan's are the best. HS are good also, just not as much as the mc's.

kind of like nightforce vs leupold, nightforce's are better, but leupold will get the job done just as well in most cases.

3. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

A mcmillan stock on an SPS ? highly unlikely.
    To my knowledge mcmillan doesn't make a line of cheap/inexpensive type stocks.
    I have two hs precision stocks -one is a thumbhole and i like both real well.They look good and fit great the bdl bottom metal/trigger/action all fit very precisely.
    That's my only expierence and i've heard nothing but good about mcmillans so take your pick.

4. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Hs makes the sendero stock and the Pss stock. I've dealt with both and like them. Not real keep on the palm swell of the pss. Never realy dealt with a mcmillan thoug.

5. wadevb1

wadevb1 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with HS. I did order a McMillan and was very pleased with the stock. I also had them bed my barreled action and it was flawless. Only negative, wait time was approx a month longer than expected. It was worth the wait.

6. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I don't know of any factory Remington that ever came with a McMillan stock.

I like the McMillan A3 and A5 stocks and a couiple other desgines but I also like the HS stocks in the PSS style.
    It realy boils down to what desgine you want , both are very well made and usualy make a good adition to any custom gun.

7. Jtomlinson

Jtomlinson Well-Known Member

I have a HS on my Sendero FSII, other than an overly bulky palm swell the quality is excellent.

McMillan seem to make excellent stocks also, I suppose it will be like comparing aples to oranges in the end.
    McMillan do tend to have long lead times at present however

Have you looked at Manners rifles stocks, the thumbhole tactical is a very useful design. www.mannersstocks.com). Lead time is in weeks for these stocks, definitely worth a look.

8. Dan B

Dan B Well-Known Member

Coues...I spent months going round'n'round with HS about their quality. Bought a stock, I inletted a few small places for my specific firearm, sent it back for paint and it came back with several cracked places and stripped sling studs. They called it "warranty repair" and I called it poor craftmanship. After several months and lots of phone calls they made me a new stock and refunded my additional shipping costs.

9. buzzgun

buzzgun Well-Known Member

JD

Several different Remington models came with McMillan stocks.......I think all the Remington KS series have them, I believe the "Alaskan Wilderness" and "African Plains" rifles have them and I know some of the custom shop Model 7s have them because I have one of those stocks and Kelly McMillan confirmed that it was one of theirs.......but the VS, PSS, and LTR rifles came with HS stocks.....although some had stocks from Bell and Carlson.....the Titanium rifles also have B&C stocks.

10. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Buzzgun, Iknow that some of their custom shop guns come with them , but their basic factory mass produced guns don't

11. travelr47

travelr47 Active Member

I also own a Rem SPS, and the factory stock
    appears to be more along the product quality
    of Ramline than McMillan or H-S Precision. I
    also re-stocked it with the H-S Precsion stock.
    Great stock and no complaints. This is NOT a
    slight against McMillan, who also mfrs great
    stocks. I own two McMillans! I like both mfr's
    equally, but for different reasons. Mostly personal preferences.

Bottom line wasn't the $100 less from H-S Precision,
    but not having to wait for it like I have with McMillan.
    I did note that the screws H-S sends along with their
    stock either didn't fit or I couldn't get them to thread,
    so I used the original factory screws.