Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

You don't enter a direction all wind increments are for a full value wind.

This sounds like it would be something that would take more practice than a ballistic program with the clock system and finer mph increments. But I feel with a lot of practice a faily accurate level could be achieved. But for sure a lot of guestmating. Probaby not nearly as big of a challenge for an advanced long range hunter, but for the moderatly experienced hunter that does not shoot all the time it could be an issue. I will mull this over and then discuss it with my friend. I was about ready to pull the trigger too, but now I am undecided again. Maybe I think to much...:rolleyes:

I hate wind!!!

Jeff

I hope I am not asking too many questions or ones that have been covered here before. But this info could be good for the thread as well.

So, Does it accept G1 and G7 BC's ?

Also can you enter multipul BC's and low end velocities?

Thanks again

Jeff

I hope I am not asking too many questions or ones that have been covered here before. But this info could be good for the thread as well.

So, Does it accept G1 and G7 BC's ?

Also can you enter multipul BC's and low end velocities?

Thanks again

Jeff

Broz,

It takes G1 and G7 BC's. Not sure about the multiple BC's but it has the trajectory validation tool witch will fix error in your trajectory curve.

Also, regarding the wind questions you asked above. For traditional LR shooters that are used to using ballistic charts or programs and wind meters etc, the G7 concept does seem quite different at first and even less precise but the G7 boys have done a nice job in coming up with easy ways to determine cross wind component inputs from a full value wind.

This video gives a short explanation of how they do it. I have played with their concept and it works well with some practice. For me there is a lot of going by feel and experience anyway when it comes to wind doping because there are so many additional factors that a wind meter can't show so in many ways I am coming up with my own wind input anyway based on up/down drafts, cross currents, etc. I think with some time in the field the 5 MPH increments would become pretty workable.

HTH,

Scot E.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broz,

It takes G1 and G7 BC's. Not sure about the multiple BC's but it has the trajectory validation tool witch will fix error in your trajectory curve.

Scot E.

Thanks Scott, I would assume the trjectory validation does it by changing muzzle velocity up or down. Or does it have a way to alter BC and velocity to better fine tune the curve? I would think that would equire entering multipul distances at once for validation. Is that an option?

Thanks for the video, it is a good one, even though I was aware of these methods. I have had mixed results with the aiming of the wind meter in target direction. But that could easily been from a varying wind speed too. As you mentioned there is a lot of field time required to be able to read wind effectivly. About the time you think you have it whipped it will kick your butt.

Jeff

Thanks Scott, I would assume the trjectory validation does it by changing muzzle velocity up or down. Or does it have a way to alter BC and velocity to better fine tune the curve? I would think that would equire entering multipul distances at once for validation. Is that an option?

Thanks for the video, it is a good one, even though I was aware of these methods. I have had mixed results with the aiming of the wind meter in target direction. But that could easily been from a varying wind speed too. As you mentioned there is a lot of field time required to be able to read wind effectivly. About the time you think you have it whipped it will kick your butt.

Jeff

LOL! Ya, the wind sucks!

You can use either BC or velocity to adjust the trajectory curve. Check out the Ballistic calculator on LRH. It is exactly what is used in the G7 rangefinder.
Long Range Hunting Ballistics Calculator

I believe they have you shoot at your maximum range, or as close to it as you can, and then enter the trajectory validation info from that distance. Then it will adjust the entire curve.

I believe they have you shoot at your maximum range, or as close to it as you can, and then enter the trajectory validation info from that distance. Then it will adjust the entire curve.

That is what exbal does out to 999 yards. But you can enter multipul distances with their own correction + or - in inches. Then it averages, adjusts MV and you get the best average curve. BC changes have to be done seperatly and manually entered. Exball will accept multipl BC's to which I have found a handy thing to get a perfect curve. The G7 only gives corrections to 1400 so it is pretty possible one BC would be good to go. Usually when only one correcton is done at the longest distance you shoot, it will result in the curve being off at 500 yards or so. But, It is much better to be off 1/2 moa at 500 than at 1000.

Jeff

This sounds like it would be something that would take more practice than a ballistic program with the clock system and finer mph increments. But I feel with a lot of practice a faily accurate level could be achieved. But for sure a lot of guestmating. Probaby not nearly as big of a challenge for an advanced long range hunter, but for the moderatly experienced hunter that does not shoot all the time it could be an issue. I will mull this over and then discuss it with my friend. I was about ready to pull the trigger too, but now I am undecided again. Maybe I think to much...:rolleyes:

I hate wind!!!

Jeff

I think your always guestamaing the wind, to a certian extent anways( or we would never be wrong). As for the comment about moderatly hunter having problems with the wind system, he will have problems with any wind system(all were doing is entering numbers into a preferred system) jmo.. Reading the wind is the hard part, using the different calculators are the easy part..Biggest thing is pratice with any system, or you shouldn't be shooting at long distances.. I hope i make sense ..

I also hate the wind

I think im going give one a try.. Thx for the reviews from every one..

Like several members here, I am seriously considering this unit, along with the vectronix plrf05. The vectronix is being offered on a group buy over on snipershide. Davidsons, would you consider a group buy for LRH members?

like several members here, i am seriously considering this unit, along with the vectronix plrf05. The vectronix is being offered on a group buy over on snipershide. Davidsons, would you consider a group buy for lrh members?

i tried to find the price of the group buy vectronix at sniper hide..
Found nothing ..if you know ,,what was the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.