Gunwerks 7 LRM???

I can believe the 7MM Rem Mag velocity, but in considering the case capacity of the 7LRM which I believe is around 100 G of water, I may be wrong but my thoughts are that you are loading below minimum charge to get that kind of velocity. If that is the case, I would be careful. A low charge can be affected by a number of things especially cold weather and they can create pressure that can be very destructive. I would call Aaron at Gunwerks to make sure that your loads are above the minimum. That is amazing velocity for that powder charge in that case.

My 7MM Dakota Imp. Case holds 97 G of water which is real close to your case and it takes 78.5 of H1000 I get 3,145 out of a 26 inch tube with a 8.5 twist. My finale load I selected was 81.5 of Retumbo @ 3,175 with a 177 Caurterucio. This load consistently averages around .280 with an ES of 0 to 20. I considered the Ruger case but decided on the Dakota because I felt it would be easier to form the brass due to neck step down. My case design did exactly what I wanted and this is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned with the exception of some bench rest rifles. It also has a Stiller 300 action with a jewell trigger. My barrel is a Krieger Fluted with a Remington LV Taper. I have a G7 Night Force 5.5 to 22 x 56 scope on it and it is stocked with a McMillian Game Scout stock. Gun and scope weight is 11.5 pounds. Hopefully one more trip to the range to shoot for a true BC for turrent order and then take it apart and and give it a KG Gun Kote for a final finish.

Trophyhunter

Can you spot your hits at that weight? Didn't notice, do you use a brake?

I am sure you probably can because the rifle is very pleasant to shoot. I have a "V" Port Vaporizor brake on it. Right now I have only shot at 100 yds for working up loads. Nathan Dagley of SSG chambered the rifle and installed the brake which is his design. I did all the stock work. I believe he mentioned that he chambered a 7 Dakota for you at one time.

I can believe the 7MM Rem Mag velocity, but in considering the case capacity of the 7LRM which I believe is around 100 G of water, I may be wrong but my thoughts are that you are loading below minimum charge to get that kind of velocity. If that is the case, I would be careful. A low charge can be affected by a number of things especially cold weather and they can create pressure that can be very destructive. I would call Aaron at Gunwerks to make sure that your loads are above the minimum. That is amazing velocity for that powder charge in that case.

My 7MM Dakota Imp. Case holds 97 G of water which is real close to your case and it takes 78.5 of H1000 I get 3,145 out of a 26 inch tube with a 8.5 twist. My finale load I selected was 81.5 of Retumbo @ 3,175 with a 177 Caurterucio. This load consistently averages around .280 with an ES of 0 to 20. I considered the Ruger case but decided on the Dakota because I felt it would be easier to form the brass due to neck step down. My case design did exactly what I wanted and this is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned with the exception of some bench rest rifles. It also has a Stiller 300 action with a jewell trigger. My barrel is a Krieger Fluted with a Remington LV Taper. I have a G7 Night Force 5.5 to 22 x 56 scope on it and it is stocked with a McMillian Game Scout stock. Gun and scope weight is 11.5 pounds. Hopefully one more trip to the range to shoot for a true BC for turrent order and then take it apart and and give it a KG Gun Kote for a final finish.
If you are referring to my 7LRM load of 72.8grs. of H1000 for 3145fps.the Gunwerks load/ammo is 72.0grs. of H1000 for their advertised velocity of 3100fps with a 26" tube.

Seems like I read some where that the H2o capacity of the 7mm LRM is 88.1 to the top of the neck. Does anybody actually know what the H2o capacity is on a 7mm LRM.

Looks like I'm seeing 87.6grs of H20 filled to the top and 81.4grs at the neck/shoulder junction on a piece of fired brass out of my rifle. At my load of 72.8 of H1000 the powder fills to just above the start of the shoulder so I can shake the charge a slightly when the bullet is seated. My COAL is 3.453 which is a 0.020 jump to the lands. My buddy shoots 91.5 grs of Retumbo pushing a 210VLD at 3110 fps out of his 300 RUM. I'll stick with my 7LRM 180VLD at 72.8grs of H1000@3145fps;>)

OK if around 88 G of water is the case, I can believe those velocities. I thought case volume was around 100 G, so that is why I was so puzzled. I have a 375 Ruger and it is a good case design and I am sure it works well necked down to .284. What is your shoulder angle on the 7LRM?

I built a 30-338 Lapua Imp. last year which would push a 210 Berger over 3,400. My finale load was 105 grains of Retumbo at 3,225. Fortunately someone wanted it more than I did so I sold it and built the 7 Dakota Imp.. Sure the Lapua case is a beast but the 7 Dakota will do anything it would do and passes it at 1,000 yds. The 7 Dakota Imp. is much more pleasant to shoot and also more accurate than the Lapua. So I feel the same way you do about choosing over the high performance 30 calibers.

I have been able to achieve 3000-3050FPS no problem consistently with the STD 7MMRM and 180gr Bergers and groups very well. I still haven't tried to push the envelope. So far 86 rounds in a single day firing, NO PROBLEM.
SevenMMRM_%20custom.jpg

Hi guys,
I'm looking at building a new rig and have decided on all my components which are, a Stiller Predator, MPI thumbole, Benchmark/Proof Research wrapped barrel. My only dilemma is either going with a 7 STW or a 7 LRM. I'm really interested in the LRM but haven't seen a lot of info or data on it. What would you guys go with and why.
thanks

Hello 308 Norma Magnum,

This is my opinion, between the 2 cases you chose I would go with the 7 LRM. Much better case design than the 7 STW and would be much more efficient. I don't know a lot about the 7 LRM but everything I have seen about it looks positive.

Another idea to consider is a 7mm Dakota. I designed a 7MM Dakota Imp. reamer that basically uses a 300 Dakota case. Powder capacity is 77.5 to 83.5 Grains of Retumbo and 75.5 to 81.5 of H1000 with velocities from 3060 to 3,260 in my rifle which has a 26 inch tube. I use the 177.5 Caurterucio bullets. The Berger 180's are around 30 fps slower dew to bearing surface. It shoots consistently in the mid 2's at 100 yds. and the groups at 800 yds. are so good I am not going to tell you because I will be accused of lying. LOL

The case is very simple to make. I turn the necks on the 300 dakota case and then form the case to the new dimensions. I have Neal Jones custom dies, so once I form the case I am ready to load and shoot. I set the sizing die so I have a little resistance when I close the bolt. For working up loads I do not fire form but for my long range hunting rounds I do use a fire formed case. Pacific Tool and Gauge has this reamer drawing if you are interested. It is print # 38107, 7MM Dakota Improved.

Good luck in your decision and good shooting.