gunsmiths

jadams

As one newly fascinated with the LR sport, I want to thank all of the "regulars" on this site. I am an avid reader of your posts and am learning a lot (hopefully
grin.gif
).

I have a Savage 30-06 with 26in barrel. I am considering having it rechambered to the AI version. I would appreciate any thoughts on that and secondly on good LR gunsmiths to do the work. I am hoping for one in the TX / OK area if possible.

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: Rhoman ]

There are two real good 'smiths here in San Antonio (actually New Braunfels), Howard Dietz and Hill Country Rifles. I have used both and the work is exceptional.

Howard has been in business for a LONG time and does great benchrest work.

Jim

Mike Bryant in Wheeler TX. is a top notch smith and an extremely nice gentleman. I have no idea if he has a 06 Ackley reamer.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Troy Glass ]

Thanks for the input. Wheeler would be on my way to OK if I can't find anyone closer to Fort Worth.

What type of work did Mike do for you?

338Lapua: I used to live in Canyon Lake area as a kid. Beautiful area and LOTS of deer!

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Rhoman ]

dear Rhoman

nothing again the 30.06 AI but

if you load 30.06 at the pressure level of the 308 Win with good powder you are close to the 30.06 AI without any need of reload dies and forming case .

from 175 to 190 bullet match weight all bullet stay supersonic at 1000 yards in 30.06 and better in 30.06 with 308 Win pressure .

best for me is

to send the rifle to the gunsmith

make the receiver face square ( not a dream on factory Savage )
put a Holland recoil lug ( thick and falt ) factory recoil lug is not flat at all
set the headspace to the minimum on the GO gauge
make a bedding on recoil lug aera

and that all to shoot far with a Savage

after you can save the money of the AI die and rechamber job to purchase a ready to fit barrel ( from PAC NOR for example ) with 28 inch lenght with a good chamber cut with tight tolerance and match throat .

that my idea but 30.06 AI stay a good cartridge .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Why not contact Savage and get a new heavy barrel in 300 win mag or 300 wsm? cheaper in long run. You can rechamber but not a lot of gain for $. With good load workup you can still be well under 1 MOA at 100 and around 1 MOA at 1000 for lot less money. Savages are good guns out of the box, one of the best. However due to being savage you will never recoup the money paid to true action and custom barrel ($500 chambered) and honestly unless you have a lot of experience you will not outshoot the savage for several years. Waste of a good barrel and $ to custom barrel unless you are up to the capabilities of the barrel now. If you are go ahead, if learning stay with factory barrel and learn to do what makes it shoot. By that time you will know how to take a custom barrel and trued action gun, make it shoot right of the bat. Barrels chambered in these overcapacity cartidges are not going to last over 800-1000 rds in most cases. Some are lasting even less than that.

Great input. BountyHunter, the Savage factory barrel definitely can outshoot me at this juncture. If I am understanding you and DAN TEC, it sounds like my best bet may be to leave the chambering alone for now. After all, I can get to 3000 fps with the 168gr HPBT. That should be good for several hundred yards beyond my skill level right now.

After I spend the necessary time at the range/ p-dog hunting etc, for my skills to reach the effective range of the -06, I will be in a much better position to know what I want/"need" in a LR caliber and rifle. Money would be better spent on optics, rangefinders, etc that are not gun/caliber specific and would help me learn "the basics."

Am I barking up the right tree, here?

Thanks again!

You got it. Spend the time and money shooting and buying quality reloading equipment and learning. If you can find a 1000 yard club near and go and shoot in a factory class if they have it and if not light gun class. Look at what is there, pick up the tips, tricks and see what works and what is BS. You will save hundreds of $ in long run.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.