? gunsmiths

seriousscout

man it is so hard to find a good gun smith now. most say they are one but they are not. had one do some work he installed the part it fits sent it back , got it butt it needs more work for it to work they dont say any thing till you ask them what a crock of SHHHHH you know, like auto shops hard to find a good one .guess ill do some work my self on it need to move were the belt goes in the action for the larger case. here are some pics old box new box

Attachments

• DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 12
I haven't seemed to find a bad one! I've delt with a couple on this site and been more than pleased. I paid one smith more than what he ask because he did a stellar job. I usually use a gunplumber in Wellsville, Utah. He tried to only charge me $150 for chambering, crowning and fitting the barrel on my action. Then he took my 6mmAI out and fireformed some rounds. He said, "I was going to the range anyway". Not all of his work has been that cheap but he's always been fair.
I bet you could pick any one of the smiths on this site and be happy.

PM me with his name.

If you want my smith's name I can give it to you. Be sure and be clear about what you want done and send a couple dummy round so he can test-feed your action.

no i didnt emailed him on a couple of other problems. just sucks all the good old gunsmiths around my area are gone i like to meet face to face hait sending thing in he mail

The secret is to find the best or the best you can afford and then have an ongoing relationship for future projects. The biggest key is to find out how good one is before spending your $$$$ and that is not as easy as it sounds.

If you spend 30 minutes talking to your potential Smith you should have spent many hours doing the research on said Smith. Always want the as my Smith say's "measure twice cut once" and "never gunsmith on a full bladder" guy! LOL

You have no idea how many times I have seen this exact issue! The bolt stop probably wasn't cut either. There is some pretty sceptical work out there lately that has been coming in to be repaired. Makes a guy wonder for sure.

Travis, it's the good enough syndrome.
The internet has made a multitude of gunsmiths off of you-tube.
Just look at all the post on other forums about guys wondering what to look for when buying a lathe.
Thats the only video missing from youtube

I think most of us are only concerned with what we do. A high volume shop with a nation wide customer base will see more Hack, I see very little and it is almost entirely do it yourself oriented. The old retired smith's are still out there but they only work on what they want and for those they choose. I find it difficult to believe judging by my own area that a really good gunsmith is more than a short drive away and in any direction that should be chosen.

I'm not suggesting or pointing fingers but I do have a story that many of us can relate to. We call him" bicycle Bob" and he has been such an annoyance that he will not find anyone willing to work on his firearms in this area. He has had his firearms handed back to him in a sack by 3 of us and each time in a different state of unrecognizable Hack. Should he send you his firearms, it's not anyone of us and you are far enough away that caller I.D should take care of the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.