Gunsmiths in Montana?

banjo318

Hello, I have a savage 111 (110-116 are the same rifle) in 7mm Rem Mag, i want to turn this gun into along range hunting rifle/competition gun (like out to maybe 500 yards) i have the original stock on it and am going to get a Karsten adjustable cheek-piece. My first question is, does anyone have any experience with these? Also i want to have the bolt handle threaded for different bolt knobs, where can i buy one? would also like the barrel threaded for a muzzle break and have something personal engraved on her, I would hate to send off $600 gun along with a $500 dollar scope, where is a good gunsmith in the billings area? And is it true that billings gunsmiths are a bunch of assholes? I've seen a couple bad reviews about them so yeah. :)

Have you tried/talked to Randy Melvin (Bull Mountain Rifle company) 1-406-656-0778 he's in Billings.

I think your best bet would be to call and stop in to one or more gunsmiths in Billings and have a nice chat with them and maybe check out some of their work. If you aren't happy, then explore other options.

Snowy Mountain Rifles would be happy to work on your rifle for you, and installing the Karsten cheek piece would be no problem at all. The bolt knob isn't a problem either and we even manufacture our own knobs if you are interested in one. Additionally, we also make our own muzzle brakes so threading the muzzle for one of these also isnt a problem. Same with engraving anything you would like.

You can give me a call on Monday if you would like so we can discuss your project if you are more comfortable either bringing your rifle to us in Missoula or have it shipped. I'd still recommend contacting a Billings area smith though and getting to know the person and their work. Good luck with your project.

Geb
[email protected]
406-480-4900

Have you tried/talked to Randy Melvin (Bull Mountain Rifle company) 1-406-656-0778 he's in Billings.

I'll vouch for Randy, he's built two rifles for me and they just flat perform. The only thing to keep in mind is you will not drop a rifle off in the morning and pick it up in a couple days. He stays very busy and you won't like what you hear if you try and rush/push him.

I'm of the belief that black goes with everything but I'm also one of the LEAST artistically creative as well as artistically challenged people you will ever find so my choices usually are all on the conservative side. I always go the conservative route because I think, what if I don't like it in 6 months.

So, if it were mine, I would go black or titanium. Titanium, IMO, looks kind of like a dull stainless. I think black would give it a really good contrast and make both the stock and barreled action stand out. Titanium would flow together with that cayenne colored stock and probably look nice but the rifle wouldn't, IMO, be as noticeable because you wouldn't have the same contrast as you would if the non stock areas were black. Just one guys opinion and good luck with your build.

FWIW, I've had excellent luck with Billings Gunsmith's. Built 5 rifles so far and repaired many more. I will say, they don't handle "assholes" well, so take the reviews with a grain of salt, they will do EXACTLY what you want them to do, offer suggestions, and then do what YOU want.

I think your best bet would be to call and stop in to one or more gunsmiths in Billings and have a nice chat with them and maybe check out some of their work. If you aren't happy, then explore other options.

Snowy Mountain Rifles would be happy to work on your rifle for you, and installing the Karsten cheek piece would be no problem at all. The bolt knob isn't a problem either and we even manufacture our own knobs if you are interested in one. Additionally, we also make our own muzzle brakes so threading the muzzle for one of these also isnt a problem. Same with engraving anything you would like.

You can give me a call on Monday if you would like so we can discuss your project if you are more comfortable either bringing your rifle to us in Missoula or have it shipped. I'd still recommend contacting a Billings area smith though and getting to know the person and their work. Good luck with your project.y

Geb
[email protected]
406-480-4900
Sorry, as i haven't paid much attention to the thread. my phone has been shut off may i email you guys about it? (im going to anyways :) ) May you walk me through the Mailing phase? a 4 to 6 hour drive isnt exactly what i would see as a simple drive to the local dairy queen haha.

Sorry, as i haven't paid much attention to the thread. my phone has been shut off may i email you guys about it? (im going to anyways :) ) May you walk me through the Mailing phase? a 4 to 6 hour drive isnt exactly what i would see as a simple drive to the local dairy queen haha.

I got your email and will get you a quote shortly after the holiday vacation.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.