Gunsmithing Schools

TheSollyLama

Just out of curiosity, how many people here that wrench on guns have attended an actual gunsmithing school? How many just learned on their own?

I ask because I get Vocational Rehabilitation as part of my benefits from retiring from the Army for medical reasons. The Colorado School of Trades has a highly touted 14 month course on Gunsmithing that I am interested in.
Since the school would free to me, perhaps even getting some of the tools on the gov't dime, it has my attention.

But few of the gunsmiths I've heard of locally, none so far can claim actual schooling.

Just soliciting opinions

Solly, I know Chris Matthews went through a similar school about 4 or 5 years ago. I'll see if I can find him to answer your question.

The schools will give you a start in the basics of diagnoses, machine training, blue printing, etc... They are well worth going to.
As part of your GI bill you can follow that up with an apprenticeship which the VA will also pay you to attend. you will get credit for your schooling toward the four year apprenticeship as well.

I took the Machining program at a local Tech school. It's a great place to start if you plan on doing machine based smithing rather than general cleaning/repair. You will get a firm grasp of all aspects of metalwork/machining that a gunsmithing program doesn't have time to cover. The particular school I went to also allowed me to work on gun parts and projects of my own. Two of the four instructors had extensive experience in weapons manf. from previous jobs, which helped also.

I also took the NRA summer classes at Trinidad CO. I take the classes that pertained directly to the areas that I work in. The tech school trainning put me miles ahead of the part time and many full time students taking summer classes.

If I had the option to take a full time program, I may have. With a familly and small children, extended seperation was out of the question. Going the route I did definatly worked for me.

Good luck with your choice.

Cowboy has used a very common avenue that many smiths have used to get training. Many community collages will work with you to tailor instruction to the gunsmith students needs if they can. They also offer business classes which are a must for the smith that wants to run a business.
The NRA programs are very good and pack a lot of info into a short time.

If you can attend in Trinidad you will be in very good stead when you are finished. As of last year they have one of the best Smiths and shooters on the planet revamping their Program.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.