gunsmithing-rem.700 -270wsm jams

Dskiper

My factory gun was trued,rebarred&restocked.On the range some plated ammo would'nt eject. It jamed again on a muley followup shot.Is this the caliber problem? I have 22-250,280,30-06,300mg in 700s with no troubles.I shoot plated& brass ammo in THEM.Any thoughts? Dskiper

Be a little more specific, you said it failed to eject. If that is the case I assume it extracted from the chamber but failed to get "flipped" out of the action?.....Ejector stuck, ejector spring broken?

Or did it fail to extract the empty brass after fireing, (brass stuck in chamber)? rough chamber walls, load over max pressure, extractor worn or broke?

You said it also jammed on a follow up shot? what lead to the jam? A failure to ; extract, eject, or the second cartridge failed to feed properly?

we need to know exactly what it's doing to help you.

Jim

To Cowboy

The 270 wsm is a brand new gun.The fired cases were stuck in the bolt face and I had to wiggle them out. Rem.custom shop warned of magazine feed problems in this caliber but mentioned nothing of ejector troubles. Does this call for a Sako extractor. Thanks!

To Cowboy

The 270 wsm is a brand new gun.The fired cases were stuck in the bolt face and I had to wiggle them out. Rem.custom shop warned of magazine feed problems in this caliber but mentioned nothing of ejector troubles. Does this call for a Sako extractor. Thanks!

It sounds to me like either the case heads are to big or the bolt face is a little to tight if your having to wiggle the case free. I doubt that a Sako Extractor would fix the problem , check your cases with a ic and see just how wide the rim is then check the ID of the bolt face with your dial calipers.

They say that the Remingtons dont feed the rounds WSM's smaller than the 300WSM because of the wide steep shoulder makes thr round want to kinda jump out of the magazine. They can fix alot of that trouble by makeing a bevel instaed of the regular strait countersink for the bolt nose.

On the Jamming ,I'm with Coyboy , what kind of jam was it , did it jam comming out of the magazine or did it get stuck while closing the bolt? If its a magazing problem you can probablyfix that with the use of a Wyatt's mag box with the center feed follower/

Dskiper

I think James is on the right track,The WSM's are a rebated rim
design and I have had had the same trouble and found that the
front of the extraction groove makes contact with the bolt face
shroud and does not allow the round to be extracted.

The cure is to have your smith machine a small bevel on the inside
of the bolt face shroud to clear the back of the case with out
disturbing the extractor groove.

This allows the rim of the case to clear for extraction.

And if you decide to install a Sako type extractor have the
smith open the bolt face .003 or .004 and this will solve
the problem.

J E CUSTOM

So extraction is good, ejection is the problem.

I agree with JJ and JE, I would also check the ejector button, make sure it moves freely and the spring is strong. I have seen one savage and one remington that came with broken or very weak springs on new out of the box.

I have a SPS in 270WSM also and it feeds like crap, pops it out, not a smooth feeding. As far as the ejecting issue mine seems to be doing ok but I have only put 20 rounds through it and after those 20 rds I had to send it to Rem twice because it was short chambered.......if I had to do it again I would buy a WSM action and build a custom rifle with a different feeding system....maybe a Wyatts.

The Wyatt's extended mag box isin't that hard to install even without a mill , have seen a couple that were done with just a dremal tool and files and come out ok worked well also , for the money their are a great upgrade. They also make a standard size mag box that comes with the flat follower thats desgined for better feeding from the center of the mag. What happens alot of the time even with non WSM's is that the shel is only beig held in the mag by one of the feed lips and once it gets glose and looses enough pressure the round "jump" loose from one side and pops out , having both of the lips on the mag box holding the round helps it slide out strait and most of the time if its fitted right the nose of the bullet is secured and keeps the round at home when it comes free.

I also have an issue with the way that Remington sets their barrels up for the bolt nose but that is part of their "3 rings of steel" crap and it makes for poor feeding with alot of rounds especialy the ones with steep shoulders. It s very easy fix if you have a lathe and a way to get the barrel off.

I've got 270 WSM Rem. 700 and it fed like crap too. I installed a Wyatt's center feed box and it cured the feeding problem. The only complaint now is that it is hard to load down through the ejection port. Most of the time I open the floor plate and load through the bottem. As far as case sticking in the bolt I believe JE and James are right. If you are using Winchester brass you can probably fix the problem by switching to Remington brass. The Remington brass used to run about .005" smaller diameter across the rim than the Winchester brass but I haven't checked any lately. If this is a custom shop rifle I would make them bevel the bolt rim so that I could shoot any brass.
David

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.