Gunsmithing Prices Question

Skinny Shooter

Each smith has their own fee schedule but I'm trying to get an average of what to expect.
What could I expect to pay for a smith to install a new .243 dia. barrel on a 700 action less the cost of the barrel?
Then I need to figure out which brand to go with. Stainless for sure. Maybe a 26" or 28" 5r tube with 1 in 9 twist.
Searched for this info but didn't come up with anything.
thanks

For that class of chamber I have seen prices from $100 up to $200 for a barrel fitting job.

This generally depends on the quality of tooling and amount of time put into the rebarreling job.

If a smith tells you he will charge only $100 for a true match grade barrel fitting job I would be a bit suspicious.

Most of the quality smiths I know and including myself would charge in the $150 to $175 range for a barrel fitting.

In my case that would include, threading, chambering, engraving cartridge designation and crowning, all using match quality live piloted cutters and reamer. That would also include finishing the barrel to a hunter grade 400 grit brushed finish.

Please remember though this is only the barrel work and not figuring any receiver accurizing work at all. Just fitting the barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kirby, since you mentioned accurizing and this being a stock gun, what other things would you associate with a barrel fitting? And what dollar range would they be?
thanks,
Allen

In my opinion, if your going to take the time and invest the money in a new barrel, you are far better off going completely though the barreled receiver right off the bat.

I would recommend a receiver accurizing, aftermarket recoil lug, Sako extractor and trigger job on top of the barrel work.

The receiver is your foundation and just like a house, if the foundation is not square, nothing will be from that point on either!! Just headaches down the road.

I do not like talking specific prices in public forums. Drop me an e-mail and I can get you exactly what I would charge for such work. Just not professional to talk numbers in public in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.