Guns across boarder

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Trever, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Trever

Trever Well-Known Member

I am not sure this is the right place for this. I am moving to Anchorage, AK and im gonna be driving through Canada and dont know how to go about taking my guns. I want to take about 10. I dont know how all this gun control bs is gonna turn out so im asking on a present day angle. Some are registered others may not be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. None all are standard hunting rifles and shotguns and handguns nothin high capacity or anything. Thanks in advance.

2. dieseldoc

dieseldoc Well-Known Member

Go online in the web site of Canada and you will find requirements. Hand guns are a no-no item.If it were me I would have them shipped by Us FFL dealer to FFL dealer in Alaska..

3. Trever

Trever Well-Known Member

Thanks i guess i need to look at the regs. I just thought i would understand it better from someone who has experienced it

4. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

the canadians at the border crossings are reasonable, BUT don't trust anyone on the net other than the canadian gov't site, as things change from time to time. and READ ALL the reg's, handguns are NOT allowed, ship them.

5. SaskShooter

SaskShooter Well-Known Member

Off topic, but as a Canadian, lemme tell ya- even if it isn't "high capacity" in the States doesn't mean it's not considered high capacity here.

Magazine capacity limits are as follows:
    No more than 5 rounds in any centerfire, semiautomatic rifle
    No more than 5 rounds in any centerfire, semiautomatic shotgun
    No more than 10 rounds in any semiautomatic handgun

6. northernexposure

northernexposure Well-Known Member

Not too sure about the long guns... but I do know if you show up at the border with a hand gun, your're gonna be in a big pile of crap! Up here in Canada, pistols / hand guns are "strictly restricted". Best I could say is the FFL dealer to FFL dealer shipping thing.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - Home <~~ official web site (if you can understand it)

7. Trever

Trever Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. i think i am gonna ship my handguns and carry about half of my long guns with me. I read the regs but didnt understand it all so im just gonna try to play it safe instead push the limits. Wish i could take all my ammo guess i will juat have to do some shooting before i go.gun)gun)gun)

8. dogone

dogone Member

I have about 40 hunting clients a year. Just register your long guns at the border. Ship the pistols. There has never been a problem with quantity of ammo. Maybe not a few hundred thousand though.
    All countries have some curious laws. Here we can have a shotgun with a 12 inch barrel as long as it was factory made. We can also order from any place in the counry by phone or mail with no middle man. Not perfect, but we have to live with it all.

9. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Don't drive through Canada, take the Ferry.