gun value

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by gremcat, Jan 7, 2008.

1. gremcat

gremcat Well-Known Member

Can anyone tall me the value of a pre-64 model 70 in 7mm mag I think it was made in 57 and I think it might be a featherweight very slightly used with a monte carlo stock not for sale just interested it was a gift that I hunt with.

2. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to give you a figure without pics and condition description.

IF it is in factory original configuration, IF it is in 95-98% condition. It could be worth a little over a $1000.

If any of the above is not true it is probably worth $1000 or less.

3. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Think Coyboy is about on, though I'd say slightly high. I'd put one in 95-98% in the $850-1000 range and down from there. Look on some of the auction sites and see what they're going for. It's not exactly prime time to sell a big game rifle either, prices do vary accordingly. Some of the best deals can be had right after the big game seasons close.

4. gremcat

thanks guys .I am not selling anyway just wondering if it was worth sticking in the safe and buying a new rifle to hunt with.Actually just trying to justify one .:D

5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Member

I had a guy offer me $1200 for my "not for sale" pre-64, and he had a check book in his hand.

6. gremcat

ha

Ha OK so I thought about it it is in near perfect shape with just slight markings on the barrel kinda like a rub mark or something and a tiny nick near the crown .I am not sure if something got on it or what because the light rub mark is from bear hunting and when I woke up the next day it was there .Only tried cleaning it with gun oil so not sure .I threw a leupold 4-12x50 on it and a hogue overmold stock but that's it.

7. 3589

3589 Member

7 mm mag???

I`m probably wrong [as usual] but I don`t think they made a 7 mag in a pre-64 Winchester. They did make them in 264 win mag though, both standard and featherweights.

Bob

PS If it turns out to be just a plain old 7 mm mauser or a 7.65 mauser you will have hit the jackpot!

8. gremcat

It had the old style monte carlo stock with the black dot and the serial is G957728 I think I had a 7mm mauser that was loaned to me but the guy was just hiding it at my house from his kid and decided he wanted it back.This gun was given from a relative who collects guns and the stock I ordered was for a pre 64 and it fit that's about all I know.

9. 3589

3589 Member

7 mag

Gem,

I looked in the bluebook, and it appears that there were no 7mm mags till about 1965. If you have a current B/B check it out. If it is a featherweight, yours is still a very desirable rifle, maybe only available for two years [91-92].

Bob

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  10. gremcat

I put the serial in on a site and it came up with 70 but doesn't explain how hte pre 64 stock fit or why my gunsmith thought it was a pre 64 hmm

11. swebb38

swebb38 Well-Known Member

Pre 64

The guys are right on on their prices, however did I read right that the stock is not original? If you do not have the original stock in good shape, those prices come down alot. Probably around 500-600 or so if that in most cases.
    If you have the original stock for it I would consider wrapping it with either a gunsock or keep it in a gun case with some humidity removers thrown in to stop warping, Being that it is not on the gun. I have seen old factory stocks stored in a safe, that the forend would warp toward the barrel groove and can make it difficult to reinstall the barrel, this was a rare case, but would hate to see it happen again.
    Hope this helps